1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The best style of tires for tractor snow blowing.

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Mdclement, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Mdclement

Mdclement Junior Member

I recently purchased a Shoule 92" Inverted snowblower for my Kubota M96S. Love the blower & tractor. The tractor came with "bar-type" agricultural tires & during the first snow storm last week, I had difficulty turning the tractor effectively. The front tires are loaded, but I'm thinking a different tire (tread type) should be used. What's the best for snow and/or ice?

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I've got the same bar type treads on my tractor. I've always put chains on the rears, but the the fronts. Steering is always an issue; I keep my loader on, so that adds some weight which helps. My blower is a 3 pt. Is your blower on the front? If it is, just lift the blower a bit to put weight on the front tires.

I don't think a different tire will help you at all.

3. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

Have to put r4 turf tires on it. Then take a razor blade to them and cut them every 1/4" and that tractor will be unstoppable. You can wait 200-400hrs to cut them if you want. They will be real good brand new.

Or a specialized snow tire with lots of siping.

4. snopushin ford

snopushin ford Senior Member
    from mass

Do you have any suit case weights on the front?

5. Mdclement

Mdclement Junior Member

Not familiar with "suit case" weights, but will look into that. There is no loader at all. For those of you not familiar with "inverted" blowers, they are "pull type" only. I'm planning on installing an 800 lb. capacity Snow-Ex spreader in the front before the next storm. I think the added weight should help, plus it would be nice to have the sand/salt with me in case I need it. I do a lot of sloped driveways.

6. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Suit case weights are like square barbell weights that you hang on a bracket on the front of a tractor. You may have to get a bracket for it though. If you're going to be carrying 800lb if salt/sand in front though, that will do the trick for you. Just throw some tube sand bags in there for weight if you don't need to actually be spreading sand ir salt since it probably doesn't weigh much empty. .

7. Mdclement

Mdclement Junior Member

Thanks Seville009.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

http://www.nokianheavytyres.com/tyres/tyre/nokian-tri-2-steel/

Somewhere in there.

I have them on the fronts of one, and my new one I took the OEM tyres off and had the Nokians installed all the way around.

I realize the originals on my older one were bald, but my operator said the difference was comparable to 2WD vs 4WD.

Last year someone said they used them even for haying and they were better than the bar tyres for even that.

9. ry_rock

ry_rock Senior Member

Nokian Tires all the way...if not a turf type tire, makes a HUGE difference

10. skimastr105

skimastr105 Member

Where did you get yours from?

11. Mark Oomkes

Wonderland Tire

12. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Nokian Tires are the way to go, the Shule inverted blower is the heaviest on the market, so definitely I would install some kind of weight up front. I also run my tractors without the locks on the brakes. This way I can use the brakes to help me turn.
    Please only attempt this once you are familiar with the tractor. The danger in doing this is when you need to brake hard or quickly and you do not press down on both brake pedals it will veer left or right.

13. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

There is another tire that is popular around here. It's the Alliance 550. Looks about identical to the Nokian, but seems to be easier to find and a better price. I haven't had a chance to run a set myself yet, but there are several tractors in town running the Alliance 550's, and they seem to like them.

14. Snowfarmths

Snowfarmths Junior Member
    from Ontario

We had to put two sets of tires on two JD 6430's this year that we plow with One got Nokian and one Alliance. We farm also and do alot of road driving . The sales pitch was ,great for plowing (they are!) ,smoother ride down the road , and last longer then a regular AG tire. The salesmen said the Tire compound in the Nokian is softer so more traction on hard pack and ice,and a smoother ride. The Alliance tires are a harder compound so a little less traction and a harder ride but he says should last a little longer then the Nokians. To do the tires there was about a $1500 cdn difference between the two tractors. Alliance was less. This will be a good comparison between the two. We will see. Also i should note that the size of the tires were a bit different between the two tractors.The metric conversion of tire sizes made this a bit hard so Nokian didn"t make a size for the rims on one tractor.That is also why the two brands of tires.

15. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I am REALLY REALLY looking forward to hearing updates on this comparison over the next few seasons. If you'd like shoot me a text or call and maybe we could keep in touch on how they compare as time goes on, in case we forget to update here because that's very likely ha. 218-205-7198 -Steve

16. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

I am going to try to get the Alliance tires for our New Holland next year. The R4's are too sketchy going down the road, and if you get on an of camber driveway, or one that is a bit steep, you can forget getting up it with the R4's.

17. Mark Oomkes

That's what keeps the night interesting.

18. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

True! But it also slows us down quite a bit. I spent 30 minutes on a driveway this week, that normally takes 12 minutes. It slopes down hill to Lake Michigan and i couldn't get back up to Lakeshore drive. I actually had about 6 drives that took nearly 2.5 times as long as normal.

19. Mark Oomkes

That crap iced up something horrible. Even my tractor with Nokians all the way around was having issues.

Mine with R4s was like roller skates on ice. Couldn't go over 3rd gear on a lot of streets.

20. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

I found that same thing. The tractor would just "fishtail" all over the place. Even some of the very moderate slopes gave me fits. I need to get our tire guy to come take a look at the JD 5101 and the New Holland TL100A Deluxe this summer. Maybe we can get a better deal in the summer...