1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

the best plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by greenworldh20, Jan 6, 2003.

1. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 Member

regardless of price, what do you all think the best plow is? i have heard people rant and rave about fisher, western, meyers, curtis, snoway....

personally, i like the down pressure on the snoway, the quick connect and hydro jack of curtis, and the ease to repair a western.

i do not like where the hydraulics are located on the curtis and snoway. if there is a problem, everything is crammed at the base of the plow, the easiest place for that stuff to get hit by a bump in the road.

what do you all think?

2. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Right now I own 2 fishers and one boss. (all straight blades) I like the fishers for the trip edge but I like the boss better. The boss stacks higher, scrapes better, faster and rolls snow better. Both plows a very reliable. I want to try out a boss trip edge.

3. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I have a Fisher and so do most around here. Boss is starting to show up more and more though.

4. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

The BEST plow is one that (1) has good dealer support and (2) a manufacturer who stands behind their product. My Sno-Ways rate excellent on #1 and average on #2.

As for Sno-Way hydraulics being vulnerable, I don't see how. They are tucked in above the level of the push frame and pretty well shielded. As of right now we have 18 cumulative years on our plows and not one incident of any damamge to the hydraulics that could be attributed to damage from below. And that is 9 years (7 on one and 2 on the other) of running on S-10s which carry them lower than a big truck does.

5. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I agree with Alan, any plow is only as good as the dealer support you get. I know a lot of guys dn't like Meyer, but we have two, and I've used them both extensively for 5 years, and have had very good results. I bought two new pumps this year, but just because I wanted the fast e-60 H. The pump on the oldest plow was 8 years old, never rebuilt. I also carry spare parts, because you'll need to do that with any plow, as every plow has its weak points. Our dealer is very helpful, and are always there to give info etc, even when the sale is done.

6. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Alan hit this right on the money.

The other thing you might want to consider when choosing a plow is the type of snow that you recieve the most of. I live on the East Coast 1 mile from the ocean and we recieve lots of heavy wet snow with Temperatures in the low 30's. I prefer a trip edge plow because as I was reminded again just the other day when I had to run our sidewalk plow with a full trip plow because the operator was unavailable, it spends alot of its time horizontal in heavy wet packed snow and that is what I get the most of in my area on the coast.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2003
  7. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

is any plow that works 99% of the time, without breaking down when plowing :D

Saying this is better than that is to each his own choice & all will have their own choice :waving:

So all plows are best to someone & some are sh*t to some.

Buy what you like :waving:

8. HerkFE

HerkFE Member

I think it may depend on what you will be using it for. The different styles all have their pros and cons. I have used and Curtis, Meyer, and had previously owned a Hiniker and now run a Fisher. I did my research and with the help of my local dealer (Showalter's) decided on the Fisher over the Boss. To get to the main road I have to plow a long shared gravel road. Lot's of potholes. I'm really glad I went with the trip edge over a full moldboard trip.

Compared to my last plow the trip edge sure seems to handle the gravel road better. I have also seen guys who (granted they may have been plowing too fast) got hung up when their plow tripped and they rode up their load of snow. :realmad: Had to pull a guy off a "high center" on the last storm. It was fun pulling that Dodge 3500 Cummins dually!

And most certainly, dealer support is VERY important when it come to choosing the "best" plow. If it 'aint workin, you 'aint workin!

Just my opinion....:D

Good luck!