1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The backbone of a truck

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by yamahatim, Oct 19, 2010.

1. yamahatim

yamahatim Senior Member

This is what it's all about. I plow with a half ton truck, residential and light commercial. Works great for me. Just traded my 2004 F-150 for a 2010. As great as the 2004 was, the 2010 seems so much more solid. It's easy to see why Ford has been the best selling truck for so many years. When you look under the skin, you see why "Built Ford Tough" means just that vs. the rest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huS-X0USuq0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQET-JW81DE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJMsC7VsK2w&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPtpefrYpUI&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kctx33qsjlY&feature=channel

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

That makes me want an F150.

3. yamahatim

yamahatim Senior Member

4. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I am skeptical looking at any "tests" put on by the manufacturer of that product. Frame flex when measured in this manner doesn't necessarily mean that your truck will break under operational loads. In fact, a stiffer steel will crack before a more flexible grade of steel-so without more information this doesn't say much. Wonderful advertising though.

5. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

the flex test i would disagree on, but roof strengh suspention goes along way and ill give it to ford!

6. yamahatim

yamahatim Senior Member

No matter what, frames all flex, however, too much will cause loss of stability of the load and over time will weaken the structure. This will cause rattles, squeeks, chassis alignment issues as well as potential handling and safety problems. Plus, having a strong structure to build allows for better suspension tuning and better NVH control.

7. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

I have to hand it to ford, their advertisements are always awesome, and thats probably the reason they sell so many trucks. Anybody else notice how there wasn't an engine comparison video? The powertrain comparison video contained bitching about engine mounts. I will give it to ford that they have well built trucks, but as far as engines go no sir.

8. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Wait til the 2012's come out! :nod: The 5.4 is a good motor for a 1/2 ton, have one in my expy and it's a great motor, no complaints. It may not win every race, but it's a very solid dependable engine that gets good fuel economy. Ford's got some new engines coming out for the 1/2 tons next year that look really impressive!

9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Who told you Ford was the best selling truck? The dealer or the commercials? They forget that Chevy and GMC are both General Motors ;)

GM was #1 for over 80 years running, only to get beat out by Toyota a couple of short years ago ;)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

GM was number 1 in Total Car Sales...NOT in Total Truck Sales.

11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Actually total VEHICLE sales NOT car sales...................but namely wanted to rile up the Ford truck owners a little bit.

:mechanic:

12. plowguy43

There is no doubt that Ford overbuilds their trucks, they have to in order to keep all of their fleet customers happy - kidding.

I think they other manufacturers put money/development elsewhere (powerful engines/exterior design/interior) and slightly less than Ford into their frame/bolts/engine mounts. Does it mean that a Chevy/Dodge frame won't hold as much or last as long- doubt it (the Toyota- yes I think so). But at the end of the day its a half ton truck that will only be rated for half ton duty. You do more and its illegal- any half ton truck can take the "punishment" of the half ton duties. Some - Toyota/Dodge/GM have the power to actually move the heavier loads that they are rated for while the Ford will struggle.

I think its funny when they do the washboard test and regardless of what they say- the coil sprung Ram did a much better job keeping the tires on the ground than any other truck. Its a better suspension setup regardless of what they will tell you- I wonder why Tractor Trailer trucks all use it with air bags?

13. yamahatim

yamahatim Senior Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CML-sOFENA

A lot is hyped about 0-60 times and racing a truck. Quite frankly all the trucks do a good job of this. But in the real world, it's 45-70 that we need and use everyday. The Ford definately does that as good or better than the rest. As far as coil springs, yeah they may ride a little better, until you load down the truck with a heavy trailer or haul something. Try that and do an evasive move...your next move will be to clean your shorts. This 2010 F-150 feels so solid, both empty and towing. Yesterday I pulled a 14' dump trailer full of split oak firewood and it was amazingly solid, and the power was so much better than my 2004 F-150.

As far as truck sales, and the combined GM and Chevy numbers...not the case today.

All GM September year to date = 357950
    All Ford September year to daye = 385879

Data source below:
    http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/10/september-2010-year-to-date-top-10-pickup-truck-sales-.html

Read the article about the 2010 Chevy test...Might answer some of the "how well it's built" questions.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/04/road-test-review-2010-chevrolet-silverado-1500-z71.html

14. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Well since Ford's frame strength is partially the topic..............Ford has been bragging about that for years. If that's the case, why has the rear frame on my F350 SRW been cracked and re-welded several times? Also why is it that body guys will tell you that a GM frame is much harder to pull back straight that anything? They're all trucks, over use or abuse them and they will all have similar issues. Bragging about the frame strength of a half ton truck, or any truck for that matter is pretty meaningless IMO.

15. plowguy43

You've obviously never towed with a 2009+ Ram1500 then. Most every magazine (if this is what you'd like to go by) praises the stability of the 4 link coil rear suspension in the Ram. Sure the coils will squat but its not bottoming out, and its much more stable than a leaf sprung rear end. Throw some airbags ($70) in the back and it won't squat anymore- just like the big rigs. It'll be a matter of time before the 3/4 & 1 ton trucks switch over to this.

16. yamahatim

yamahatim Senior Member

17. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Real men drive 3/4 ton trucks anyways :laughing::laughing::laughing:
    That ought to get'em going :angry: This thread is pointless.

18. plowguy43

Why's that? The new half ton has won more awards and customers for them than any previous generation. Drive one before using bias as your only reasoning.

A 4 link suspension is a great suspension for trucks (baja/trophy trucks, crawlers, etc all use it) and if airbags are good enough for big rigs then they are fine for 1/2-1 ton trucks.

19. plowguy43

I was talkig to yamaha not you ZR.sorry about that. I'm wondering how many videos he'll have to post to convince himself that the F150 is king?

20. yamahatim

yamahatim Senior Member

Maybe you guys should be high fiving yourselves in the Dodge truck thread. :gunsfiring: