1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The Average amount of snow plowings a year in KY?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lyons Lawn Care, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Lyons Lawn Care

Lyons Lawn Care Junior Member

Hey guys from KY, I was wondering what you all thought on a average year in KY how many times you will snow plow and salt. I have a commercial contractor wanting me to give them a flat rate over 12 months. He doesnt want the payment to vary he wants a monthly bill of the same rate. If it doesnt snow alot guess I make out but if it snows over average hey make out. So to be fair I was wondering how many plowings you all do a year.
  2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Not from KY but was wondering why this person would want snow removal priced over 12 months? I never have done seasonal pricing but don't you usually price from say Nov. - April or similar depending on where you live? Why would you want to pay for snow removal in July! More importantly, you are making less money in the snow months when you need your money coming in ( Gas, salt, repairs, wages and so on.)

Does anyone else do this?
  3. platinumpimps

platinumpimps Member

I have a commercial account that wants the pricing over 12 months and a flat rate also, but it is for Snow removal and full service lawn care account. mowing, fert., round-up, shrub trimming, and flowers planted every year. I am in the process of giving them an estimate right now. It sounds like it is pretty common around here. (WI) Milwaukee area. I had other commercial accounts at the beginning of the season wanting the same thing. They don't want any price variations for the year with this damn economy. (I Think anyways.)
  4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

look up the average snow fall for your area on the internet and you have your answer. You can find everything and anything on the Internet. I know here in cleveland we average 55 inches a year. You can also find out who much it snow per event also. Do a little research and if you still cant find an answer ask on here. Good luck.
  5. glfredrick

glfredrick Member

I'm a fleet/grounds manager in Louisville for a major university setting. Kentucky snow weather can be tricky. Our normal daytime temps are above freezing, so we don't often get regular snow, but when we do, it can come down wet and heavy, and in quantities of 4-8 inches typical. That, and everyone panics, and wants it gone yesterday. the attitude here is very unlike that of more northern climates, where people understand that winter = snow, and that it isn't always possible to make it "go away" on their schedule.

Planning for a yearly removal fee in this sort of scenario is tricky, for one year (like this year, for instance) you may only have one push for 2-3 days, while other years (last year, for instance) you might be pushing snow almost every day for the entire winter.

I'd hate to try to price that, and I'd be inclined to price per push versus an annual fee that might bancrupt you!