1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The Angle of the Dangle

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by johntwist, Jan 20, 2005.

1. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Just read through the "not too courteous" thread, about guys driving with their 9' blades straight and hogging the road.

It got me to thinking because Mick said he keeps his straight as often as possible because if angled it'd be too close to the ground. I have an 8', and I carry mine angled right, but I have to keep it up higher than I'd like to not scrape when I hit bumps or inclines. I really hate it at night because the left headlight glares off the blade and is distracting. But I wouldn't want to carry it lower because I know it'd hit, so I can imagine a 9 footer would be worse that way. Also, when I carry her straight my temp goes up higher.....too high, and I notice looks of sheer terror :eek: from women in mini-vans and toyotas who pass me in the opposite direction.

So, a question for you guys with the nine footers......when you carry her straight do you have problems over-heating?? And if you do, what do you do about it? For everyone else, any comments at all about how you carry your blade would be fine. Angled left or right.....straight.....high......low.....and why you carry it that way.

This isn't something I've seen alot of posts about and I'm sure everybody's got their own way for their reasons, so let's hear 'em!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  2. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

Yeah, I don't know why people are whining. Town trucks usually have one-way plows (at least in my area), and they can't angle them and are usually wider than 9 feet. Yet people never complain about them. Immature loonies. They should buy a 9 foot plow and see if they'd like driving around with it hammering on the ground all the time, and throwing slush up on the window.

3. jeffwoehrle

jeffwoehrle Member

Exactly right! I've never heard a complaint about how wide the town truck plow is. Of course, I've never seen a muni plow halfway into the oncoming lane either. :nono:

4. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

That is because mun. plows are allowed to be wide.
    All others require a special permit wider than 8'6".

5. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

I run with my plow straight and low otherwise the truck gets to hot. I will angle it if on a narrow street when cars are coming. People do get a look of terror on their face when you are coming at them. I slow way down and try and move as far to the right as possible and let them pass.

6. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

My ultimate dream...to be as perfect as you.

7. new2it

new2it Member

On my 8' I prefer it angled to the left when transporting. Keeps lights from reflecting back at me and I think is less intimidating to oncoming traffic.

8. MOW ME OVER

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

When driving with my 9 footer straight I keep it about 6 to 8 inches from the top, If I run with it all the way up it likes to run hotter than usual and I can hear the fan clutch running really loud. As far as angling it my 8.5' blade would do the same thing, run close to the ground when fully angled. Me personally, I'm not going to take a chance of damaging the cutting edge or worse the blade because a couple people are intimidated by the plow hanging straight off the front of my truck.

I try to go in the right lane as much as possible and not pass people in the left lane.

So in conclusion 3 extra inches on each side is NOT going to be noticeable to on coming traffic or even when you have the plow fully angled because it will still block one headlight and be close to hitting ( If not hitting) the ground when driving and going over normal high and low spots in the road.

Justin

9. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

How I drive with mine depends on the road I'm on and the conditions. On the highway I usually keep it low and only slightly angled to either way to keep it cool. Around town I always have it angled, usually to the left and only high enough so my headlight peaks over the blade. I can control how close I get to parked cars, I can't control how close others get to me. It's all situational.

I usually keep my controller turned on too in case I have to change the position like when I'm pulling into a driveway or parking lot with a higher approach angle.

10. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

To get rid of the glare from headlights , paint the back of the plow flat black

11. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

tyr light extensions for the headlight problem (small brackets that shim your lights up 3-4 in.) worked on my meyer- ford setup. i always angle my blade on tight roads. :cry:

12. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

big plow little brain syndron

i just passed one of those guys with a 9 footer , it was strait and he was on the phone to boot & taking both lanes....just remember when you come to oncomming traffic it's your responsabilty to move not mine cause i am in my lane and you are in mine with your bigass plow....and when i sue you i'll own a new
    bigass plow.... man those guys piss me off and they are usually the ones that
    pull out of where ever they are plowing with blade down and dumping
    it in the street .. :realmad:

just had to vent..... :drinkup:

13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I run with a 9' plow. I drive with it angled to the left when I drive down the road. My thought is if someone hits me going the opposite direction they might bounce off and go back into their lane. I have never had a heating problem.

14. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

Not in NH, and if it is, no one does it, as many people have the 9 feet... I mean, there's many contractors, etc here with them.

15. STRONGARM

STRONGARM Senior Member

I have an 8' western with pro wings witch makes it 9'. If you angle it to far either way you scrape and if I carry it high the temp really goes up. So I try to angle as little as possible and put it as low as possible. I also take it off after every storm because driving with it in the city gets you some scary looks!

16. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

I keep my 12ft angeled to the left and it still will take the whole lane.Btw I have never been pulled over for being too wide and my truck is over 8'6" wide without the blade.

17. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i angle mine left and right, :) sorry couldn't resist.
    there are a couple of 9fters around here, most are nice enough to occupy their side of the road, but, the big but, there is one guy that has almost run me off the road before. he has his blade 2 ft in my lane and is just oblivious to the fact i need to drive in the snow bank to keep from getting hit.
    There are some with much smaller blades who seem to hog the whole road too.

18. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

If you look on the Boss website, they actually recommend you angle right when transporting, but their reason for it doesn't make sense to me.

Any of you with Fisher, Meyer, Western, Blizzard, Curtis, etc......do your owner's manuals or the manufacturer's website recommend which side you angle to when transporting?

19. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

no disrepect, sure I had to many whiskeys but your F250 is over 8'6" wide without the blade. YOU HAVE MY ATTENTION!!!!

20. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

A little off topic. Sorry. How come some brand's sag when angled and others don't, even if they're the same length! Seems kind of weird to me. Or is it all just a weight issue? But it just seems weird that one brand of an 8ft plow sags more than another 8ft plow of a different brand.

Sorry if its a stupid question, its just something Ive noticed and wondering about.

BTW, I saw this guy driving on a pretty main road (Harper), with his plow about 1/2 from the ground, bouncing up and down making ALOT of noise, and the said part was that he continued to go 20-30mph. Isn't that bad for the plow? (or just maybe his pump went and luckly he had his shoes on)

Thanks again fellas! :waving: