1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The All New Baby Duramax...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Triple L, Feb 19, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

2. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I have heard these rumor before. I hope it comes here but I doubt it. It would be great to have some smaller diesel trucks/suv's. We are limited to "HD" trucks and the Jeep Liberty.

3. Triple L

from Canada

Diesel power magazine says its coming here...

4. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

DP had a write up a few months ago, isn't there a 2.5 and 2.8?

5. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I have seen the write ups before. Its kind of like the boy who cried wolf... I'll believe it when I see it ;)

6. Triple L

from Canada

It looks suprisingly amercian for a china truck JMO...

7. JK-Plow

JK-Plow Senior Member

The truck is coming to the US, but there is no commitment of the engine to the US. Truck and engine are on sale now in Thailand. I hope they do use the engine, since they are putting a diesel in the Chevy Cruze for 2013.

8. salopez

salopez Senior Member

hey don't forget the grand cherokee! thats got a nice 3.0 in it!

9. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I think both of those Diesel Jeeps already failed and have been pulled from production if I am not mistaken, there are also a few import Diesels out there as well.

I am sure it won't make it here because of the cost of getting them built to pass epa standards etc...

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

America is a tough nut for small diesels. The truck may be coming but the engine???? IMO it will all depend on if the engine can meet emissions and GM decides there is enough sales volume to justify homogenizing the engine.

Emissions standards combimed with low sales are what killed the Liberty Diesel.

11. salopez

salopez Senior Member

i am going to have to disagree with you.

the liberty diesel was only planned for production for 2005 to see how it did. expected sell rate was 5000 units. it was extened to 2006 and had sales of over 22000. production was stopped due to re-design of the liberty and upcoming epa crap...

the grand cherokee was also in production for 2 years, and halted due to epa and i belived their bankruptcy.

used models are very pricey, i only know this because we have been shopping for an 08 GC to replace our liberty diesel.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I guess I should have been more explicit I didn't mean the Liberty didn't sell well, I was referring to the cost of certifying the engine vs it's relatively low use in production vehicles. The cost of certifying a motor for USA sales is high and very hard to justify for those kind of production numbers and used in a single vehicle in that price range. Why companies like Lotus are using existing engine platforms (Lotus uses Toyota Camry engines) with (relatively) minor intake and exhaust changes its how they can build a affordable limited production vehicle despite the best efforts of the EPA and **** (whom test on different standards :dizzy; )

13. Triple L

from Canada

14. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

15. Triple L

from Canada

me too, thats half ton capability and maybe even then some... I baby boss v would be sick...

16. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

I dont think we will get it though....i just dont see the demand, but maybe i am wrong...but with that capacity might buy one just for the hell of it

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It's built with an ultra-rigid steel frame structure, which means ride and handling are much more akin to a conventional road car than many like-minded four-wheel-drive pickups.

General Motors has announced the Colorado is coming to the U.S. While it will be significantly different, we hope it retains the global truck's styling. "

Couple quotes from the article that don't bode well for 1'/2 ton plows or the diesel.

18. 07F-250V10

07F-250V10 Senior Member

Theyre just copying off of Ford. Theyve had the Diesel Ranger in Austrailia for over a year now

19. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I really wish they would come out with a smaller truck and diesel set-up in the states.

I could justify a diesel then and get amazing fuel economy for estimating and general gopher work.

I remember a relative who had a VW rabbit diesel in the 80's and it would get almost 30+ miles per gallon.

20. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

They've been teasing news for years with a smaller 4.5L Dmax for the 1/2 ton. It never happens. I wonder if it is market strategy, so they don't cut into their heavy duty market.