1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The $99 plow guy

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by martyman, Nov 24, 2005.

1. martyman

martyman Senior Member

In my area EVERY YEAR my streets are littered with signs saying SNOWPLOWING $99 (single car garage) and a just a phone number.

Why I'm posting this is I don't understand the logic in this. I'm using a jeep and a 6.5" plow and can get usually with some walking (flyers) and advertising in the local paper an average of 50 homes ranging in price from $280 upto $400.

I think this guy is a scam and if he's not I don't understand this type of advertising. I think this makes plow guy's look dumb in my opinion. He might be getting the same amount for double car garages but why use a single car as his main advertising focal point?

2. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

The guy probably has no business license, no commercial insurance, and apparently doesnt care about the fact that you and others try to actually make a living out of winter work....Think he's a lowballer ???:cool: :cool:

3. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Maybe it's $99 for one event, or $99 for the AVERAGE driveway. Who cares what he does? Your method is straight forward and honest and it sounds like you have enough customers. There's always a lying sack of feces out there running a scam. Maybe he's going to collect the $99 up front and skip town. There is no way he can service the clients at that price.

Don't let bs bother you. It's a free market economy, there wil always be someone cheaper. Sell what you have and ignore the idiots.

4. martyman

martyman Senior Member

It doesn't bother you that people demean your profession?

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I agree, I could really care less, and it really does'nt bother me that their are tons of people like this guy. Tree care, lawn care, snow plowing, painting, roofing, siding, piano tuning, and so on... Maybe its just a retired guy keeping busy.

6. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

You gotta give the guy some credit. At least he is advertising by putting fliers up all over the place! It looks like he is trying to make a customer base and not just sit home and collect welfare! Maybe he gets $99 per driveway per event and has 30 customers on each block. That's not too hard to take, and remember that we all had to start somehwere! :drinkup:

7. imdawrlus

imdawrlus Member

how do you know he isnt still collecting welfare??

8. imdawrlus

imdawrlus Member

my uncles friend put an add in the newspaper for 100 dollar plowing for the whole year....he made a ton of money concidering he didnt have to do any work.....

......yes he "jumped town" hahaha

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

That $99 for a single car garage is probably a hook to get people to call. Then he jacks the price up on anything wide, long or bigger then that.
    Might be the price for a month too.