1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The 84 diesel died

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 84deisel, Dec 11, 2006.

1. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

After 7 years and many storms , I have had to put the old 84 in the back lot. It seems last snowfall was just too much for it and it blew a headgasket.With it being a 23 year old truck it has seen too much to repair again so I just bought a 2002 f250 ext cab shortbed with the 7.3 psd in it 46000 original miles.$24,000 later it is sitting in my spot .Got a hell of a deal on the plow frame as the truck in the lot next to it had just trhe truck mount and they didnt want it so for $ 160 ,it is mine too.Now the fun part of transfering all the parts over to the new truck from the old.Pictures to come later.

2. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

you telling me your not going to fix the 84,,,,,,at least you bought another ford

3. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

nope its been a repo truck,tow truck,salttruck and finally a plow truck.I think its done its duty and I wanted something nice to drive so I just drove home in my new to me 02 f250 supercab shortbed psd.

4. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Wow....my hat's off to that truck. I'd love to see some pics. Sounds like she served you well. Are you the original owner? How many miles? Enjoy the 7.3, you'll love it.

5. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

got it used about 10 years ago .It probably has about 200,000 miles on the original engine and rusted body.

file000MA10187497-0007 (WinCE).jpg

6. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

If i was near you I would come and get the truck from you. I have an 1985 F-250 gasser with an 8 foot fisher. I done a fair amount of wrok to it, But I have made it back just using it to landscape with. And if I am right you have the 6.9 liter diesel engine with an 8 foot plow, All of the weight on the TTB front end and never had a problem right. every one always say how the TTB front end doesent hold up well at all, just goes to show old iron works just as good or not better as the new stuff :D . I am glad to hear you stuck with frod when buying a new truck.:nod: :drinkup:

7. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

not a problem at all with the front end.The only things changed over the years was ball joints,ujoints and springs.The axel and diff as well as tie rods and drag link are original.

8. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

I just rebuilt the whole front end of my truck this summer, I took my time doing it and it all went well. I used my 5 or 6 cans of PB penatrating fluid on it. For a good price only spent 400.00 total with all the parts and having an aliment done too. Good luck with your new truck.:nod: :cool: :D

9. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

thanks.hated to give up on the old horse but I am not getting any younger so I think it was time for a nice ride.

10. bterry

bterry Senior Member

11. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

well i hope the truck can now rest in peace sad sad day for the plowing world....lets all go drown our sorrows :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:

12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The wife never understands the tear that runs down your cheek as they tow your truck away. My boys even sniffled when the Bronco II got towed by them. We still talk about the good times we had plowing in that truck. The youngest ( 11 ) even said something tonight about it. Riding in his booster seat plowing snow !