1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The $700 Question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cold_and_tired, Oct 10, 2011.

1. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I've been looking for a few backhoe pushers for a while and am trying to make up my mind between Buyers and Protech.

I'm going to be buying two pushers. Right now, the price difference is $700 total.

Buyers:

PROS -
    I've had one in the past and it had zero issues.
    $700 cheaper than Protech
    Local dealer
    3" taller than the Protech

CONS -
    It's ugly! I hate the new safety orange

Protech

PROS -
    Proven reliability
    It's not orange

CONS -
    $700 more for the pair than Buyers
    Dealer is 2 hrs away and not open on weekends

Each company has 10 year warranties on the pushers so that's a wash.

I've talked to both dealers and got them down a little but both say they are as low as they can go. Which would you buy?

2. CS-LAWNSERVICE

CS-LAWNSERVICE Member

you can buy a lot of paint for $700 and it will no longer be orange

And the location of the dealer will be a big plus when and if you have issues ,do you really feel like making a 4 hour round trip in a blizard?

3. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Based on the info you have given Buyers all the way. If the color is that bad find some one to custom paint it how you want, apply the $700 savings towards the paint job

4. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Compare the structure of the pusher. Everything from the design of the attachment points, to the main horizontal beams on the back, and even the wing supports. Also pay attention to the difference in rubber, I believe that both have different processes for manufacturing rubber edges.

Also, with a basic rubber edge pusher there is not to much that can go wrong. If something goes wrong with it, its most likely a structural issue that will require welding or fab to repair.

5. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I will concede that I haven't seen a Protech pusher in person. I've heard a lot about protech regarding the main beams on the back. My thinking is that with an 8' bucket strapped to the back of a 12' pusher, there is only 2' on either side which is unsupported. Other than smacking a curb, I don't think you can get enough leverage to bend anything.

I've tried to find the material thicknesses on protechs website and they don't seem to have them listed. Buyers uses 3/8" side plates and 7 ga for their moldboard. Any idea what Protech uses?

As far as the rubber goes, I may try to get the pushers without rubber and add a poly edge to them.

I didn't have any issues with the rubber on my Buyers pusher. That being said, it's top speed was about 6 mph.

6. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I guess you need to take a drive and check out the pro-teck lol. I would be more concerned with the
    Build quality than dealer location. Like was said earlier the only things that will break is structural. It's not
    Like a plow where little parts can shut you down. Good luck with the decision.
    Robert

7. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

The problem with cheaper pushers really doesn't come in it bending back or anything, your right the buckets are wide enough where that won't be a chronic issue. The problem comes in twisting. I've seen a couple cheaper pushers that got twisted because the guy was floating the very heavy bucket on the pusher, cruising down the lot, and one side goes up on a nice curb, and the other side is still on the ground receiving weight. The pusher twists and then has a hard time ever plowing proper again. The design of the main beams on the back is one of the most important aspects of a pusher, along with the wing supports. As far as wing supports go, I prefer boxed wing supports because the non-boxed will hold just enough snow in and around them that will fall out onto your freshly cleared lot when backing out of a pile.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  8. Protech Inc.

Protech Inc. Senior Member

I can't speak for Buyer's but I can and would be happy to provide answers to any questions people might have about Pro-Tech's products. Pro-Tech provides several pusher options for backhoes. You have our Rubber edge, IST (ice scraping technology), and our Switchlade model (Rubber and IST in one). Pro-Tech's side plates for backhoe pushers are 5/16 thick and we use a 9 ga moldboard.

Pro-Tech pushers have reinforced horizontal and vertical channeling and are fully welded. We take great pride in offering the most durable pusher in the industry, this includes even the rubber cutting edge and wear shoes we offer. For more info on the durability of our rubber cutting edge or wear shoes feel free to check out these two YouTube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_NS48rWV0g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix97uItTmW4&feature=related

If you would like to speak with someone on the phone you can always reach one of our Business Development Managers at 888-787-4766. Thanks and I hope this was helpful.