1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The 6.0 Cooler Is JUNK....and not all it's cracked up to be

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Doakster, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Ok so it's not quite junk, but I put my truck through hell today doing some serious plowing, and saw higher temps that I expected, I probably did 2 hours of straight hard plowing, and the TQ was never locked up, the highest temp I saw was 205 degrees on the trans, higher than I expected but like I said I was running it hard. I can only think that if my stock cooler was still in I would have turned my trans to molten lava!! Thought people should know that if I had run the truck for another hour I probably would have over heated the trans even with the 6.0 cooler, I guess everything has it's limits.

So for all of you running the stock cooler in a 7.3 just imagine how hot you're trans gets when you are plowing.....if you don't have trans gauge....good luck.

Link to some pics of what I cleared.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=75932

2. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

Plowing with the t-case in low range will help keep your trans temp lower than if you were in hi range. Low range allows you to keep the rpms up and reduce heat created by torque converter slippage in the lower rpms.

3. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

I'm gonna have to give that a shot next time.

4. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

WOW! thats crazy hot... I've only gotten my allison up to 190 in the summer and I was shitt*n bricks with it that hot... I would have never let it get that hot... I'd like to know where that temp is measured from, is it in the tranny? on the line out to the cooler? or on the line coming back from the cooler?

5. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

My temp gauge is installed in a passage that dumps back into the pan, the standard place where you install an aftermarket tranny gauge on a 4R100 trans.

205 is not really "crazy hot" for tranny fluid.....generally 225-230 is considered "hot" and to the point where you should stop and let the fluid cool down.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  6. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I think your missing a word or two..... but if im understanding you correctly, your sayin after the cooler.... so if its 205 after the cooler, it was cookin before it got cooled

7. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Yeah....just a word or two...LOL...I fixed my illiteracy above...had to do some research to remember.....I had it backwards.....the gauge is installed in a passage that is the pick up from the pan through the pump to the cooler....so 205 before the cooler.

8. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

What do you expect to happen, your loading the **** out of the transmission (namely the torque converter) and your going slow with a huge plow in front of the truck restricting air flow.. Im suprised anyones transmission that does plowing do last as long as they do.. Heat kills the trannies and what plowing does is exactly the opposite of what is going to lower the trans temp.. :)

9. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Thanks for pointing out the obvious....my point was to see how far I could go with the much larger 6.0 cooler in my truck and how it would handle a beating. It's not that I didn't expect it to get warm, I expected it to be in the 160-180 range, in comparison with the stock cooler I probably would have had to stop a dozen times to let it cool down.

10. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

check yer cool air intake by the grill . clogged with snow? Try a zoodad .

After plowing a while , take her for as cool down blast of fresh air.prsport

11. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Are you really trying to tell me that a small piece of plastic cut out of the front grill has anything to do with transmission temps.....let alone ACTUALLY helping the motor cool down or get fresh air. Zoodad Mod = over rated.

12. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

low range definitely helps. My tranny stays at least 60* cooler when plowing in low range as opposed to high, never goes above 180*

Was really tired plowing one time, forgot to put it in low, looked up and saw 240* :eek:

Gave it a rest, put it in low, then never saw it go above 180*

13. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

I too had been seing trans temps higher than I would like, so.......I found a cheap and simple fix.

I bought a 10" electric cooling fan and O'Reiley Auto Parts($60). I fabbed up some mounting brackets on the supports colums in front of the intercooler where my Tru Cool is located. Installed the fan. Using a cut off wheel, trim the inside of the stock grill. The fan was too tight otherwise. Next an automotive realay and switch to handle the load and behold, temps dropped signifigantly.

The last snow event I saw temps right around 145 degrees. Before the fan install I would see 200 degrees real easy.

I will post some pix if anyone else is interested in the install. It seems to work great plowing, and is also useful when running the cold front as well.

One thing I have learned plowing with a set of quality gauges is the trans is hotter than most think plowing.

14. Turbodiesel

being a diesel owner , you know all the fresh air to that motor you can get is a plus.check cooler tube for clamp loose ness

15. niederhauser la

niederhauser la Member
    from Utah

I have seen 220 in my cummins and I wasnt worried 205 isnt that hot.

16. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

As I stated before I wasn't worried about my motor running hot, just the trans, no problem with the motor. Tranny lines are all tight and if the tranny cooler had a loose clamp, enough to cause a good leak, you would loose the fluid in no time due to the pressures in the lines blowing the tranny fluid out. I'm sure you would notice something when your trans doesn't shift anymore at that point.

17. Turbodiesel

Thought you meant intercooler

cooler2.jpg

18. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Gotcha now.

19. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

tell the whole story........ how u were busting hard pack snow............. and how many times u were stuck ???? the 6.0 has about 8 coolers 6 in front of the fan doing 3 mph is a lot for 1 fan. dont get me wrong the 6.0 has its problems but lets be real.

20. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

I think you assume that my truck has a 6.0 motor......not quite. ...it has a 7.3 with a 6.0 tranny cooler.

I was busting hard pack snow by doing just that....busting it in V mode or what ever else would work....these were the tail end of a snow bank and an entire field about 2 ft deep that had a chance to melt and freeze a number of times. I got stuck maybe 4 times mostly because I was all frozen grass underneath, not pavement.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009