1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

The $25 Salt Spreader

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by EcoGreen Serv, Dec 8, 2009.

1. I get a call last night from the old folks home that their walkways are all icy from packed snow. They have gravel walkways running around the place. This isn't a regular account but they call me from time to time.

So I grab my AgriFab broadcast spreader only to find the gears are striped , I know, My bad for not checking all my equipment. Well, It's 11pm so there's nowhere to get parts or another spreader. So I come back in the house and tell my bride the problem. In her infinite wisdom she says you've got all those other spreaders, why not use them ? I explain they're for fertilizer and Salt is to big for the hole.

Then I get the brainstorm :dizzy:

I had a $25 Scotts Basic spreader in the shop still in the box that I won at a Golf Tournament. Never used it because they are too small for what I do and aren't calibrated the best.

So I have a good look at it. There's 3 problems.
    - The opening is too small,
    - The plastic wheels would just slide on ice and packed snow.
    - They only have one drive wheel.

So the first step is to get it to flow Salt

Out comes the Dremel and open her up. Not pretty but effective.

[​IMG]

Now to address the traction and single drive wheel issue. I just shot some #8 X 1/2" self tapping screws (just because that's what I had around) into the wheels and the free rotating drive wheel axle to lock it to the shaft.

[​IMG]

I opened it up a bit too much so the gate doesn't completely close, but not much spills through.

[​IMG]
    I was really surprised how well it worked. holds about 40Lbs of salt and throws a perfect width for walkways.

I doubt it would be very durable for commercial use, but would make for a cheap spreader for home use.

2. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

studded tires haha good work

3. Here's a pic of how it looks finished

[​IMG]

And a short video of how it works.

[​IMG]

Not bad for $25 and less than 1/2 hour to make.

4. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

are you a farmer? that is farmer ingenuity at its best

5. LOL,, Ya, I guess old habits die hard. I grew up on our families Veggie / Hay farm in Northern Ontario and spent summers on my Uncles farm in England. As anyone who's lived on a farm knows, You learn pretty young to adapt, modify and fix just about anything.

6. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

Hey, you do what you gotta do! If it works in a pinch, run with it. Sure beats spreading by hand:nod:

7. JR Snow Removal

JR Snow Removal Senior Member

Thats great!

8. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Thats actually pretty neat.

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I think I'm going to try that tonight with one of mine...wil be perfect for the few walks I have to salt

10. cleansweep007

cleansweep007 Senior Member

Nice looking spreader !

11. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Yes! That is awsome! I bet you will actually use the hell out of that thing!

12. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

works great, we did the same a few years back to a scotts spreader, opened up the gate so it could flow bagged salt.

13. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Way to think on the fly. Nice job

14. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Damn, I just got a whole bunch of $300 walk behinds and one of you guys come up with an idea like this for $25! lol

15. It cant replace a proper spreader, While it works good on ice and gravel its pretty useless on dry concrete walks.... I'm still going to pick up a Earthway 2130 but as a backup it's great

16. Used it on about 1000ft of sidewalk today. At walking speed it throws about a 5ft-6ft pattern, pretty much perfect for what I was doing . I originally thought I'd opened it up too much. but I found I got good coverage by not pulling the lever. When it clogged I just gave it a quick pull and it was all good.