1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

That's work

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by The mayor, Feb 2, 2010.

1. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

I saw a got today plowing quite a large parking lot with a atv and a blade that cound not have been bigger than 52". Not knocking the guy, but that had to take a long time. Hopefully his truck broke down and this was his last resort and it was a one time deal.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Should have pulled in and offered to help.....

3. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

x2.........

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Or at least asked why

5. procut

procut Senior Member

I see people do stupid stuff like that around here all the time.

I remember this one guy a few years ago, he owned a small shop, I guess he was too cheap and poor to hire anyone to plow his lot. He would send his kid out there with a Toro powerlite.

Back in December I drove past a local tire shop with maybe a 30,000 square foot lot, we had about two inches, they had 5 or 6 of their employees out "shoveling" the lot. It was quite a humorous sight, I should have got a pic.

Another place with just under an acre of parking has their maintenace guy do it with a lawn tractor.

I can probably think of a few more, but these are all thats coming to mind right now.

6. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

You are right I should have offered. I could have spared a half hour. Not that would have got it done, but it would have got him done sooner. Or maybe he bid it out for the atv....I would hope not.

7. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Lots of auto&tire places up here have there guys shoveling the lot!

8. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I do a location of a chain of tire stores and they freaked out once they realized no shoveling was in the contract. We had to make a change order and include it. Its beyond me, they have 20 guys sitting in the garage with not to much to do since its snowing hard out, and they won't shovel their 15' of sidewalk.. Oh well, more money in my pocket.

9. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

maybe they are flat rate. they only get paid for working on cars, when i was working flat rate i wasnt doin nothing that didnt pay.

around here there is a company that got the bid for a drug store chain and they plow with an atv with a 50" plow. i know who had it before and he was working to cheap and he said they undercut him.