1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

That's alls I can stands, I can't stands no more!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnboy11, Feb 3, 2008.

1. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

Last winter was lame. This winter is worse. No more snow removal for me. It's not worth it. I won't be doing contracts next year. I might do it freelance on a per storm basis, but no more set route of people expecting me. If I feel like going out I will. If not I'll be free to vacation, sleep, do something else, whatever. I'll sell a few snowblowers and have cheaper insurance too.

Anyone else gonna bail after this crap festival year? :confused:
  2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

NO, because one of these years it will turn around and the guys left will make out good payup
  3. BREAULT69

BREAULT69 Member

4. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Yeah you should quit. Then it will snow for the rest of us for sure!!:drinkup:
  5. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

That's a good way to look at it! I have my fingers crossed for the up to 3" tomarrow!
  6. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

We will get ours, sooner or later. Hang in there. Winter is not over yet. This is the first January in 75 years that there was no snow and before that in the 1850's. We still have Feb. And March. I will not be backing out, i just bought my plow 2 weeks ago. Thank god for no snow i got mine at a good price. LOL. Someone was saying 6-10" next weekend. We will see what happens.
  7. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare Member

Funny enough, for the past several years around here, it hasn't snowed at all. This year, every week we have gotten dumped on. I have made already 2/5 of what I made last year just in January. Stick around, it will come.
  8. 6feetdeep

6feetdeep Senior Member

Not quitting, but definately revising my contracts from here on out.
    It didn't snow at all since January 1st (no plowable amount), but we've had lots of ice. I'm losing my arse in Salt, and labor just dinking around with a little ice here, a little ice there, at my seasonals. More than likely next year I will get rid of all my residentials, too.
    I'm feeling the crunch, but it will get better, it has to. It wont get better on its own, you sleep in the bed you make. Diversify if needed. I hear beer, chips, tvs and furniture are selling well today!!:drinkup:
  9. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

People wanting to get out? I'm can't wait to get into the snow removal biz! Good winters will return, and don't blame the global warming, we've had bad winters many years ago, it will get better soon enough.
  10. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

December was my best month EVER for snowplowing/salting income...

Hang in there, it all goes in cycles... and with the whole Global Warming phenomina they're saying our seasons will be much more extreme than ever before... not just warmer.
  11. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

You say you won't be doing contracts next year..... do you mean flat rate accounts??? Or do you mean you won't be tied down to anyone as a client??

I'll be honest. I switched to flat rate billing for all my accounts, for just the plowing for the most part, some have minimal salt built into them. I did this 10 years ago and never looked back.

Sure, if we get a real heavy winter, I lose out. But this year I didn't drop a blade in November. December I plowed the properties 8 times, but it was only 5 events. January I dropped the blade at 4 accounts, just to plow 1/2", even though I have a 1" trigger, just because they're higher end on the paying spectrum, and I wanted to make it look like I was doing something for my money.

Last year we had a minimal year until March we got (2) 20" snowstorms on back to back weekends, and then another 4" the following week.

2 years ago, I plowed a total of 7 times, the first of which wasn't until Feb. 2.

And I live in Minnesota.

Get yourself set up on flat fees, even if you have to discount slightly. It's nice knowing the truck payments are made, the house payment is made, the plow payments are made, there's food on the table, property taxes are paid, insurance is paid, cell phone is paid, you get the idea.

All this with only 20 smaller commercial accounts.
  12. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

im not backing out. snow or no snow i still get paid. if we have 6 inches i get paid if its 75 degrees i get paid so dont matter to me. id rather it not snow untill i get the beater running again cuz my 01 chevy died last storm. and i dont want to beat on my good truck.
  13. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I look at it this way for me. I need to replace the Big Red Drain. If it makes it through the season it's gravy money. If it does not snow, newer plow trucks will hit the market cheaper then normal.
    People will sell 4x4 trucks because they really do not need 4x4 " anymore".
  14. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

Hey guys- I know it will all even out and we'll get snow sooner or later. I've been doing snow removal for over 20 years. I just hate being tied down in the winter, especially the last 2 years when it's not worth it. I want my freedon back to be able to go away in the winter (I like many of you do landscaping from march thru december). I hate watching the weather like a crack addict for 48 hours before it's supposed to snow and then we get rain. I think I'd still do snow removal if I could just go out when it snows and work at will. I no longer want to have agreements with people who would be expecting me every time it snows. I feel too tied down. No more worrying some dumb ass is gonna fall down and blame it on me either.
    Honestly I think I'm one of the only companies (meaning me) around here (Nassau Co., Long Island) that does residential snow removal. I think there's a reason for that. Or several reasons.

I don't do seaonal contracts (I do per event contracts) because at the end of the year one party usually gets the short end of the stick. I don't want that to be me or my customers- who are mostly lawncare clients too.

All of you who are still staying in the biz I say good for you. It's a good gig, I'm just tired of it, especially since there's no money to be made the last few years. Good luck.
  15. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

All I can say is I'm sure glad I got into commercial salting!!!

Now whenever we get these pathetic snowfalls, freezing rain, slushiness, or even refreeze (or frozen runoff) I can just classify it as an easy nights work and still make some cash.

I really hate the residential work, but I do it... at least, where my trucks fit....