1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thats a Chevy for ya!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Eggie329, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Eggie329

Eggie329 Senior Member

So just a little funny fact for the morning... I use two Dodge trucks for plowing (96 & 99) and if we go over a week without snow they will usually take two tries to get started or sometimes stall until they get warmed up. I wen't out and started the 96' after it sat for a week. It stalled after a few seconds and I had to restart it. Wen't over to my 86' Silverado (which sits all winter) to let the engine run and keep the battery charged. I haven't started it in a month and it has a blown head gasket. I hopped in and pumped the gas twice and it started right up. Just makes me laugh!
  2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Yup--Bowties foreverThumbs Up
  3. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

I would say thats old school for ya. No computer controls.
  4. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

my 79k30 i swaped in tbi injection to fires up everytime no problems. had dead battery sittin for 6 months. hooked up jump box cycled key 2x for fuel prime sittin so long just incase . turn key poped right off sittin there purrin like a kittin.

mabye the dodges have a bad fuel regulator or pump in the tank . possibly neot letting the system hold pressure. or somthin else goin on. hard to tell with out scanner lookin at the data on cold starts.
  5. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

I guess my only question is why do you have 2 dodges and not two more chevys ?
  6. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

My old to me 89 K5 Blazer was used only from nov-march and sat all summer, never a problem starting. oh and man i miss the turning radius
  7. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

tranny problem

them darn tannys your talking about had 23 differnt valve body designs in a 6 years span..ya think anyone knew what they were attempting to build...i will never own one them critters.mine dont have any metric bolts or wires in my tranny and no wanna-be computer bs..good luck to with your issues..
  8. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Who said anything about a transmission?

I agree that the old GM engines are great. I had a TBI 350 that sat for 6-8 months at a time and would start right up (after a battery charge) no issues. I cant say anything about the reliability of a dodge but I would assume the check valve in the fuel system is bad. Next time turn the key for the fuel pump, turn it over for like 3 seconds, stop and then try again. With my old jeep (01 Cherokee) you could sit and hold the key for a day and it wouldnt start but if you bumped the key for a second and then tried again it would pop off every time.
  9. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

10. bill7101

bill7101 Member

just remeber there are Ford and Dodge guys who will say that they owned chevys that had nothing but problems, but the truck they own is the best they ever owned and never have problems with, its all in everyones heads. All makes had problems at some time or another, it doesnt make the one you own the best truck out there, I have owned and worked on most of them and have found problems with everyone of them at some time or another.