1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

That storm blew....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnboy11, Feb 15, 2007.

1. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

What a crapa ass storm. Everything turned to ice. After dark yesterday snoblowers and shovels were useless. Still are. I've been spreading salt like a madman. Luckily I went out early am yesterday and started the route. I was able to keep most pretty clear until the end when everything froze. An inch of ice. I'd say half my accounts are clean to the pavement and the other half I could only do about 75% of a good job. My own house hasn't been touched and is not going to be! My car is frozen like a popsicle. I don't feel like doing anything after that disaster. first it was like ice-sand then soild ice. Sweet.

Most of the places that were so called plowed (commercials) look like skating rinks and a lot of houses and stores didn't get touhched. The town didn't plow until very late and then blocked in all the houses with 2' of solid ice. Nice.

So what was your day like?
  2. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I agree, I started out early in the storm which was key to keeping clean but the rain made it tough to keep the lots clean due to slush. I was using storm drains at a walk in medical place to get rid of the water.
    I did my yard last and it shows. My Van is covered in ice, walks frozen and now we have a water main break on the street so it's flooding. I just dug out the storm drain to help but the crown in the road won't let it all run over so I will have a 3" thick skate park at nighfall.
  3. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

Is everyone still sleeping?

I just got back in after going out again today. I did my route 3-4 times between weds and thurs. Today I went around and cleaned up anything I coudn't get to last night because it was frozen.

Last night I salted the heck out of any ice/snow still on the ground. Thank God! I went around today and was able to shovel the rest of the semi-melted ice. The houses I did (brag) are a few of the only ones around town that have bare walks and drives. Everyone else is screwed and chipping away with shovels and picks. Suckers! There's no more salt to be had at the local places, but I got more last night at the landscape supplier (phew).
    My point is that it's a good thing to start early and keep an eye on freeze potential, even if you have to do a house an extra time because it's still snowing/sleeting. Also keep more salt than you think you need! I did a lot of houses a few times yesterday which kept the ice levels down and then kept putting out ice removers in combinations of Mg, Ca, Na chlorides. This was a rare storm. I'd rather have a foot of snow than the 3-4" of frozen ice sand and then ice sheets. Any house that has gutters that drain to the drive turned to 2" of solid ice on the drive, at which point I said to myself "too bad for you for having a piss poor design" and had to leave it. I was able to clear all walks and steps though.

That was a tough one.

I hope you all did well!
  4. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

3" skate park is right! I feel bad for the mail people and sanitation dudes, delivery people, etc (and us!).

Most of the houses around here haven't been touched. It's almost like it's too late.

It snowed until late yesterday and I bet most folks went out this a.m., tried to shovel, said "f that"!

In fact, Comic Book Guy would say "Worst storm ever" (or at least since 1993).