1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

That new Deere smell

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by hammerstein, Nov 30, 2011.

1. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

After a month and a half of waiting it is finally here. 2012 John Deere 5083E, so new the paint even smells. Its main job this winter will be loading salt, till I make up my mind on a push box, then it will be used for plowing and loading salt. It is between an Artic, or Protech.

jd1.jpg

jd2.jpg

jd3.jpg

2. hammerstein

few more

Input is more than welcome especially on the push box, This is my first bigger tractor.

jd4.jpg

jd5.jpg

3. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I love the green tractors. Do you know what it weighs?

4. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

your not that far from us!

congrats on the tractor! what are the specs?

5. hammerstein

I think its around 8500 lbs

6. hammerstein

Cleveland is pretty close.

Heat and Air were my main concerns in specking it out along with a radio with mp3 input.
    83hp, I think pto hp is 64 but not 100%, went with a skid steer mount 84" bucket which is 27 cu. ft.

7. Mike NY

Mike NY Senior Member
    from zone 5

I would have a hard time putting that pretty tractor in the salt pile.

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Congrats! I sure love the interior on mine and i'm sure you will too!

9. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 Senior Member

Man thats nice. I've always heard Pro-tech is an awesome pusher. I do like the trip action of the Artics though. How big do you wanna go? 10-12'?

10. dodge2500

dodge2500 Senior Member

Awesome tractor. We run two JD ag tractors with pushers on them. If it were me, I would go with a 10' Arctic Sectional. Pro Tec builds a great pusher but having the floating moldboards and steel trip edge makes a world of difference over the conventional rubber edged pushers. We have saved a lot on salt and done a much better job on any uneven pavement. Good luck with it!

11. hammerstein

I am thinking 10', some of the commercial lots we do are about 700' long I think 12 maybe a little to much and a little harder to maneuver in some of the tighter areas. I was originally going to get a protech but the more I research the artic the better it looks as long as it has a good operator. I would rather spend more on the box then have to put down more salt.

So I got to put it to use today moving 20 tons of salt into my salt bin in my shop. Cab is very comfortable with great visibility.

Gave it a bath when I was all done, also gave the old dump truck one too.

jd6.jpg

jd7.jpg

101.jpg

12. I HATE RUST

I HATE RUST Senior Member
    from PA

nice tractor, good luck with it this year :salute:

13. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Nice looking tractor. Really, used for salt loading? I'd spray it down with a oil or fluid film...

14. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Ditto.

After seeing what salt did to my Bobcat years ago, I will never use a new tractor or skidsteer to load salt again.

Fluid Film the crap out of the entire tractor.

15. wewille

wewille Senior Member

Congrats on the machine, youll love it. I have a 5085m very similiar to yours. They are about 70 or 75 pto horse power. I purchased a 10 foot protech for mine, and it worked great, however i would by a 10ft arctic instead. I have no experience with an arctic, but the moldboards just seem so much more efficient. I was planning to purchase an inverse blower this year, but i just dont have enough residentials to justfy one. Even with the loader in float function you may want to add more weight to the front of the tractor as well as the rear. A few times my operator complained about it last year, so i added 800 lbs to the front this year...i shall let you know if it works better.

Overall i think you will be more than happy with it!

16. wewille

wewille Senior Member

You will want front fenders too. The washer fluid resovior is kind of small!

17. wewille

wewille Senior Member

Also keep the side windows closed as well! You will fling everything on the road into your cab!

18. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

is there a company for aftermarket fenders for front tires for these tractors? i was thinking about all the road crap getting slung onto the windshield on our tractor.

19. pushinpaul

pushinpaul Member

That is a really pretty machine (and a nice dump truck too!). I agree with everyone here about using it for salt. We use our oldest most worn out machine (a vintage ex DSNY W-14) to load our salt trucks. For the kind of bucks you're dropping on a tractor and pusher you may want to consider spending 5-10 grand on a cheap skid for the salt pile rather than use a brand new "gem". Then again, I dont know if you put down enough salt to justify that sorta thing. All that aside great looking machine!

20. wewille

wewille Senior Member

I'm sure there are, but i don't know any. I have not looked into it. John deere I know sells them however.