1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

That "F" Word

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Todd Wilmsen, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Todd Wilmsen

Todd Wilmsen Junior Member
    from Midwest

Last year was my first year plowing. I thought I would love it......Not really that "F" word FATIQUE really gets to you. First hour no problem then BAM! Fatique really sets in.

We'll see how much fun it is this year. Maybe a six pack sittin shot gun will help!! :drinkup:

Good luck to all this year!!

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

try this..

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I hate to see you after 60 hrs straight!:eek:
    you could always bring one of these!

sleep.jpg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah, if you're getting tired after 1 hour in the truck then plowing ain't your thing. I'll admit that I get tired too but that's after I've seen the sun come up twice during the same event...

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

FIRST HOUR???!?!?!

You MUST have misspelled, meant FOURTY hour, right???

7. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Yep he is in the wrong type of work if after a hour he is burned out. Like camden said Ive gone 70 plus hours in the truck with a few 20 min naps. Dark lite dark lite dark they don't pay when it does not snow so you have to work the whole storm and clean up afterwords not to mention repair and resupply afterwords. Sno Farmer has it right have hit my self many time to get the blood pumping........

8. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

man...i sure hope thats a typo, only an hour and your sleepy ???
    how bout getting in the truck on a sunday morning, and finally getting home wednesday night,,,,,,,,,,gotta love this line of work dont'cha

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It's mind over matter, don't think your tired and you won't be. If you keep saying how tired you are you will fall asleep. We don't work between 10pm and 2am . All of are customers know this and respect it. In extreme weather situations we will go out then but it only happens every few years. For insurance reasons we like to have rested people working for us and we find that when people get a few hours sleep they are much more productive. If you are tired after the first hour, find a new job.

10. Dakotaplowboy

Dakotaplowboy Member

Get a six pack of Monster energy drinks, three or four packs of energy now pills, and you could go for weeks. Sometimes a quick shot of that four hour enry drink with a monster chaser works too!!!!
    First couple of snow falls, the snow is all I need. I can't sleep when it is snowing. Plowing is to much of a thrill for me still.
    When winter sets in and I see predictions of snow I can't hardly sleep waiting for it. BRING ON THE SNOW!!!!

11. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

73 hrs. straight was the longest for me.... lotta stickin' my head out the window and buying stock in Dunkin' Donuts coffee!

12. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

1 hour?
    I'm not even done with my first comm site in one hour.

my longest was 48 hours.

13. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

First of all, the 6 pack would only hurt you and put you to sleep. Red bull would do the opposite....and I have to ask.......do you squat when you pee too???:dizzy:

14. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Yep this job ain't for you then. I stop after about every 2 hours or so and strech and then get back in my truck and go at it! NO TIME FOR :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

15. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

First hour?????:dizzy: The truck aint even stretched its legs then!!!! I think a different line of work is more up your alley like sitting behind a desk. My longest streak so far is 76 hours no sleep, just plowing away. Man the crazy a$$ music I had to play and the windows down with the heat off.

16. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

Isn't there a 3 hr. min. to be a member on here? Damn....somebody give that boy some straight caffeine runnin' thru his veins via an I V !!!

17. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Repo.......have we confirmed that we infact are talking to a boy....??? We know its not a man, but it could still be a female. I asked if they squatted when they pee, but got no response.......;)

18. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I've gone 6 days in my truck before.

Had some naps, even full out 5 hours of sleep, but never really left the truck except to fill up and empty :p

19. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

Century mark

I hit the 100 hour mark last season during the december blizzard.

We had a few trucks crap out and way too much snow. Plus the skid-steer was not on line as the push-box was on backorder and all we had was a dirt bucket.

After 100 hours I went home, crawled in to bed for 4 hours, took a shower, got some high speed food in me and got back out there. 1 hour? You've got to be kidding me. It isn't considered a real plowing event until your butt falls asleep after 4 hours right?

20. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

66hrs is my record. I really dont like to be up for more than 40hrs straight, it gets a little dangerous. But if your exhausted after only an hour you might want to sell the plow. Plowing isn't for everyone.