1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

thanks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by n y snow pros, Apr 4, 2000.

1. n y snow pros

n y snow pros Senior Member

I would like to thank all the people on this sight who have given me some great information which i have been able to use in my own business.I hope this page becomes stronger each year and thankyou chuck for setting up this forum it has been a wealth of knowledge.

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Second to that. I hope everyone has a good summer, i can tell the post a day are less each day. I wonder what everyone will have for new toys in the fall.<p>Geoff

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I also have had a great time this season with the forum. I am also glad to have met a few members in real life. Hope evryone has a good summer, and check in from time to time as I am sure we will all have something to say.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

You guys are great,have a good summer and I'llcheck in once a week for hahas.I've learned a lot from this forum,thanks to Chuck for starting it and to all the members who shared there knowledge with me,I learned more here in one winter thwn I have talking to people in the last 15 or so years plowing.BTW Dino the dodge is for sale-I'm ordering a 2000 2500 4dr Vortec 6000 with snowplow prep.I have 3000+ in GM rebates on my card that are expiring soon and I got an order for invoice+100 bucks locally.I will miss the torque but I need the 4drs all year round and want to get a 6 ft box for plowing.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

5. Vince Panaroni

Vince Panaroni Member

Same from me too. I just got back a few minutes ago from my trip out west. It was great and my grandson was terrific. You guys have been great this year and you bet I'll be keeping this forum up with what ever new stuff MTS will be doing. Also visit our website at www.mptek.com and see what we put on our site this summer. <p>You maine guys (Geoff) should have a lobster feed for all us flat landers!!!!! Have a great and profitable summer<p>vince

6. plowking35

from SE CT

John you really should wait till the fall and get a truck with the allison tranny. The 8.1 and durax both will be available with that tranny. That will be the truck to have.<br>Although from what I hear that 6.0 hasd a lot of power. But what is the gvw of the truck you are looking at? The new HD line up will have 9200gvw on the 2500 series truck. Go to www.pichuptruck.com and read the story and see the pics on the new GM's. They drove a truck just like the one you are looking at, but with the duramax and allison. In a side by side with a Powerstroke at 60 mph, they stuffed the throttle and the duramax walked the PS like it was standing still.<br>Dino<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

7. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Dino, I'm as much a GM fan as you are, but no way I'd buy a Duramax/Allison combo until they have been on the road a couple years. Too much new stuff in there to go bad. Remember the &quot;lifetime&quot; ball joints on the 88s? As it is I'm concerned about how many 99 and 00 models I'm seeing as trade-ins around here. Too many for the usual turnover of two year buyers. I haven't had any confirmation on it yet, but I wonder if there are problems with thsoe new engines or some such thing.

8. John DiMartino

Dino,I am getting a 2500 8600 GVWR,I do not want an allison,nor do I want a 8.1 or duramaxipad,this truck has been around in its 2nd year now and they got the bugs out of it,the HD line will be full of them too,I dont want a truck with a body lift either,like the HD will have to clear the trans hump on the allison.The actual payload on the HD will be the same,it weighs more thats why its higher to maintain payload ratings.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

9. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

John,<p>Is it a crew cab, or &quot;quad cab&quot;?<p><br>Dave

10. plowking35

from SE CT

Say what you will about the duramax, but it will set the standard for the new diesels that all three will have in the next 3 years.<br>I just like the fact that it blew the powerjokes doors off. Now in 2002 the cummins allison combo will be great. Wont be as fast as the duramax/allison combo, but it will be a proven combo.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

11. GeoffD

Ok there is only one thing i hate. I don't go out and make jokes about chevy or GMC's or dodge trucks. I really don't care that much, but i think it is down right kid like to make jokes about other trucks. I really don't like the statement PowerJoke. You don't see me calling your GMC a General Mess Of Crap do you? <p>It's not the end of the world, and i won't worry about it. Only it has happened more than once and i felt it was time to open my mouth.<p>My feeling is, yes i voice my $ 0.02 worth on other brands, but i don't make jokes about them.<p>Geoff<br>

12. Vince Panaroni

Vince Panaroni Member

I LOVE TOYOTA'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<p>I LOVE THEM SO MUCH BECAUSE NEARLY EVERY PLOW MANUFACTURER WON'T EQUIP ONE AND EVERY TOYOTA DEALER WON'T WARRANT THEM SO I GET GREAT MILAGE, PER GALLON AND MANY MILES ONDER MY CAB.<p>KEEP IT LIGHT BOYS!!!!<p><p><p>vince

13. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Geeoff,, sure you could call GMC &quot;General Mess of Crap&quot;, but you would be lying, cuz everyone knows it's not true. As far as Powerjoke goes, that not as bad as knowing &quot;You won't go far when you drive Mopar!&quot; Seems to me that you take your brand loyalty a bit too far, almost a childish obsession.

14. GeoffD

This is why i like fords.<p>1. Never had a ford die on the job.<br>2. Great trucks for work, for play i would buy a chevy.<br>3. I can't fit in a chevy regular cab, and every truck i own i want to be able to drive.<br>4. Great Ford dealer in the area.<br>5. I have a guy work on my trucks that is a Ford mechnanic during the week. He knows ford well, and does great work at the rate of 20 bucks an hour vs 60.<p>I don't want to get into a war about this. Its just i have had good luck with my powerstrokes, and i know others have too. I just think that a little respect is in order. <p>Geoff<br>

15. John DiMartino

I think the standard setting D-max will have a short,if any reign of power Dino.You may be right,but with a 200K life expecancy-I wouldny pay a dime more for it over a 6.5,and with Isuzu being involved,the parts will be big $$$$$,+ a lot harder to find in the beginning.I know guys who haul stock trailers with their Cummins/Dodges and do about 100K a year,at our truck wash a 95 came in last week with 678,000 on it.Can you see any of these guys buying the D-max?BTW the auto is the original one still.A motor job will be 5-9K$ easy.They'd be on the 3rd one!How can you say that it beat the PSD,that was a pre-production truck that isnt even out yet and who knows what Ford has on the bench.I'm tired of all the speculation on the D-max,when they are out a while we will see how they hold up.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

16. GeoffD

I think the miles on the motor are only a factor if you do a lot of driving down the road. I mean i know that if i towed a trailer at the trucks correct weight on a tar road, the truck would last forever. If i put 100K miles on a truck a year i know i could get 500K out of any truck. Only if the truck only gets driven 30K a year and it plows, tows,goes off road, hauls heavy payloads, it will have a harder time making the 500K mark. This is because the rest of the truck gets beat harder, and it is easier just to drive on the road. Thats why i don't care if the truck's motor can go 1 million K, because the rest of a truck that works that hard will never see it, unless you want to put tons of other parts into it.<p>I say this for any truck, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, GMC, Toyota, or any other light and medium duty trucks, heavy duty is another story.<p>Thats my $ 0.02<p>Geoff

17. plowking35

from SE CT

I am sorry for the powerjoke comment, would powerchoke be better. HAHA<br>And I wouldnt own a comealong unless it came in a chevy. They would sell alot more of them if it didnt say &quot;dodge&quot; on the hood.<br>Anyway to many people are putting down the duramax and they havent even seen one, and perhaps I am puting to much faith in a product that I havent seen yet. But anyway, in the next few years the 7.3 will be replaced with a 6.0 and the cummins will have to have a major redesign to meet CAFE restrictions. If diamler doesnt get rid of it all together in favor of a Mercedes diesel.<br>However if you are going to pick on GMC, I prefer<br>Gay Mans Chevy <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

18. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

I agree with Geoff. Engine-life-to-rebuild is a function of many variables. Load, loaded RPM, idling time, operating environmnent, driving style and maintenance are all major influences. Duty cylce defines the average vehicle speed. A highway diesel pulling a cattle trailer will probably have a life-long average speed of 35-40 miles per hour (total miles divided by total operating hours). A plow/ landscape/ tree service truck of similar spec will more than likely see an average speed of 15-20 MPH, so over an engine life of 6-8,000 hours, the numbers speek for themselves. Is the high miler a better truck/engine? Not necessarily when you blend in the time and the revenue generated by each vehicle. We had a winter with exceptional amounts of snow here in North Bay, ONT in 1996/97. One of our trucks recorded an average speed for the month of February of 7.1 MPH (each truck has an hour meter). Any conventional way you look at that operating cost - speed, MPG, or cost/mile, it looks poor. But if you look at the revenue per hour numbers.....<br>Regards<br>P.S. I have only recently tuned in here, but I have enjoyed the jovial BS that floats in and out of the factful discussions.<p><br>----------<br>JWM<p>

19. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

By the way, does anyone know of a similar forum for tree-service professional?? Unfortunately, we have to work in the summer too.<p>Thx<p>----------<br>JWM<br>

20. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

Dino,<p>Making fun of other brands again!!!! Shame. Don't you remember what that counselor told you!! Play nice...<p>Every brand has it's pros/cons. I was switching back/forth on the Ford/Dodge diesel for a year. Finally went with 1st instinct and bought the Dodge with the &quot;comealong&quot;. Nice truck, only time will tell if I regret it.<p>I expect the &quot;duramaxipad&quot; to raise the power war a bit. I guess the real ? will be longevity. Time again will tell this. The motor is getting a lot of hype, both good and bad. I think ALL the diesels available to us are a better choice for most than gas engines. I am getting 17mpg combined at present, and I don't drive 55(or close to). Cruise set @85 gets 18mpg at 2200 rpm, perfect for pulling bikes to Daytona/racetracks. <p>There are many determining factors in deciding which truck is best for you. Parts/service availability may be as important as brand. In the case of my &quot;comealong&quot;, the local cummins center, two miles from my work, is open from 6:30am to 11:30pm, the only way for me to beat that is to have my OWN parts wharehouse. I do my own service. Hopefully the Isuzu and International places do the same. <p>Why don't you trade up to the new duramax, I'll take another drive down, and run ya for a beer with my stock (NOT) 235/460 auto...alright, I'll give ya two trucks and the break...LOL<p>Dave