1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thanks John Allin

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bossfan, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Bossfan

Bossfan Member
    from Kansas

To Mr John Allin,
    I am posting this to personally let you know that I greatly appreciate your well-written book, Managing Snow and Ice. That is, and should be the snow-plowers Bible. As a snow contractor, the information in your book helped and is helping my business in every aspect from paperwork and contracts to equipment. I read your book once a month in summer and start reading it more often when it gets nearer fall. In winter months there is not one night when I do not pick that book up and read at least something from it that I can share with another individual snow contractor. I have found your book to be very inspiring. I hope there is a book two in the future.:salute: Sincerely, Jon Filer

2. windmill

windmill Senior Member

Now THAT"S a review. I haven't got the book but now I'm thinking!

3. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I have to second that review Jon. I have that book sitting next to my computer and even though I have read it I still refer back to it at least once a month. I would also like to recommend two more for suggested reading, Selling 101 by Micheal T McGaulley, and Marketing magic by Don Deblak. These two books are very good at explaining the basics of marketing and selling your product or service. These books are part of the sima csp exam and well worth it regardless of whether or not you even take the exam IMO.

4. Bossfan

Bossfan Member
    from Kansas

Windmill, You can get on www........com to purcahse Managing Snow and Ice by John Allin. Don't forget to get the Snow Removal business forms as well. (these are extremely handy) You can also call (800)456-0707. If you would like to stay on top of new snow removal information, products, equipment and business techniques; I also recommend subscribing to Snow Business. That is the official Snow & Ice Management Association magazine. SOME GOOD READIN'!!!:drinkup:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2003
  5. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

While I am reading this post I might as well give a Congrats to John also. However my reasons for this are different. I would like to Congratulate John and all the other fine gentlemen who wrote the articles in Landscape Management this past month in the Snow Removal special section. Very fine job keep up the good work.

Jay

6. yako

yako Member

i just got the book in about two days ago. im about halfway through it and im addicted to it. this book has been as helpful to me as this website. ive been in heaven with all the new info. thanks john and everyone on plowsite.

7. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

If you think the book is full of information, go to one of his seminars! Although many of the ways I run my biz are somewhat unique and tailored to my market, much of my success in such a short time is owed to John Allin and others whom he has helped "groom" for the snow business.

By the time I was done paying for the seminar, motel, book, cd and travel I had about $400 in the seminar he conducted last fall. It is my feeling that every penny that I spent has already come back to me ten-fold! If you are willing to put in the footwork, these guys (SIMA) are willing to give freely of themselves. If you go to these seminars with the mindset that you have room to learn rather than showing all other attending members your vast knowledge, the experience is invaluable. payup

8. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks to everyone for all your kind words.
    They are very much appreciated.
    Keep in mind that "my way" isn't "the only way".... take what you can from the book, and integrate it with what you are already doing.

9. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

You have me wanting to read now. Guess I will have to get it. Ray

10. Santo

Santo Banned

I ordered mine Sept. 2........still waiting.

11. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

Get the book. I did and don't regret it. A lot of the stuff in there, I had already thought of or pondered, but hearing it from a successful businessman who has obviously made a lot of $$$, gave me the confidence that I needed. I always go back and forth on many ideas, and the book set me straight on most of them.

12. Santo

Santo Banned

It must have gotten lost in the snail mail.

13. windmill

windmill Senior Member

Finally got my book on Wednesday!!! Wife gave ultimatum - book or her - gave her the remote - she's still with me. :) :)
    Wow have I ever learned a lot, up 'til now most of the contractors take on work at a handshake or trust. When there is non-payment it's main street at high noon with guns blazing:gunsfiring: :gunsfiring: . Well now I've put together contracts for my customers and am waiting to see what the reaction is going to be. I sure feel a lot more professional and I hope I am seen that way too. One thing is for sure, I feel well protected with the terms and conditions I now include in my proposals. Thanks Again John.
    For those wanting how to price and how much salt and where do I get Insurance and etc. questions just get The Book

14. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I am looking to buy a copy, where can I get my hands on one??? I tryed to order through lawn and landscapes website but it is not working, any other places??

15. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

Wow after such a great review i had to go out and get his book... now i just gotta wait for it to come in the mail.

Seth

16. windmill

windmill Senior Member

LB Landscaping I got mine through Lawn and Landscapes website, maybe you can email them? Theyshould have a contact on the site.

Adams plowing second best "bible" you can buy. It's a great read and will undoubtedly give you ideas and help make you money. Oh, and welcome to plowsite.

As I said noone around here uses contracts, today I got three, the management company complemented me on the contracts as they now know exactly what they are getting and what I expect from them. I'm happy and may soon be looking for another truck.

payup :help: :drinkup: pumpkin:

17. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

18. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I Just checked the SIMA site the book is $20 more than on lawn and landscape, is it the same???

19. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Junior Member

LB - Call us at 800/456-0707 Monday thru Friday and you can order the book. Or, e-mail me at ssmith@gie.net with your phone number, and I will call you and take care of it. Thanks, Steve Smith, editor, Snow Business magazine.

20. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Junior Member

Also, SANTO, if you still have not received your book, please e-mail me at ssmith@gie.net and I will look into the situation and get you the book ASAP. Thanks, Steve