1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

thanks giving bumber

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by elite1msmith, Nov 27, 2008.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

so i went to fire up the 94 cummis....

we changed the fuel filter on it 3 days ago, and other than the first start, it was fine

till today , it took a little cranking and some little petal pressure to get it going, i asumed from a little cold weather

after 4 mins of idle time, it started missing , then died... with no restart, and i can even get a single pop from any cylinder

were do you guys think i should start on this one? lifter pump? even after priming it for like 2 mins still not a single pump

yes i did check the fuel shut down soilinoid, and it is in the on position ,

yes i did drain the "water seperator" which had all fuel come out of it

2. TEX

TEX Senior Member

you may have what is called an air lock. how long did you drain the fuel filter housing?

its an easy fix altho im not as up on the 12V as the 98.5 years and up.

you can crack an injector line where it meets the injector and crank the engine this will let the air go out. if there is fuel comming out you know you have fuel.

3. elite1msmith

from chicago

ok so here what i did...

i preformeed by the book , a low pressure bleed, by the fuel filter.... i cracked open the bleeder bolt, and push the primmer about 100 times till soild fuel came out... there was alot of air bubles..

I then cranked and started the motor, it ran fine for about 4 mins again , i could even step on the gas and it would respond correctly

leave it idle,.. a few mins and then same thing, starts missing , then 10 seconds later its dead

preformed the entire thing over again , with the same results

4. elite1msmith

from chicago

ok just preformed the low bleed again ...same thing , ran for 4 mins then stopped

5. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I know this may sound strange but it worked many many years ago ... A mechanic were I hung out had similar problems I told him to loosen the cap on the fuel tank....It ran...If your cap breather gets plugged It can't let air in you get kind of a vapor lock in your tank...Just some Ideas...

6. elite1msmith

from chicago

ill give it a try , but i don think so , becasue the filler tube has a hole in it ..this thing leaks fuel while filling

7. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

My thought is a pinhole in the fuel suply line. Somewhere between the engine and the tank. Does the 94 have a lift p[ump in the gas tank or is it mechanicial on the side of the engine block. Some how air is getting into the system causing an air lock. Similar to a cracked drinking straw.

8. elite1msmith

from chicago

i would have to check on this but i belive its lift pump on the side of the motor ...engine driven

9. elite1msmith

from chicago

what do you think the easist way to check that is? i was thinking about diconnecting the fuel line from tank , and putting a low pressure air hose up to it , see what that did for me? if your right on this i would expect the leak to be before the lift pump , or i would see way more leaking fuel.

10. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

the lift pump is on the drivers side of the motor. Its mechanically driven. I would guess that you have a leak in one of your fuel lines and sucking air.

11. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Normally dodge uses plastic lines with quick connects. Perhaps a broken o ring or the line on the top of the sending unit. If possible run some diesel to the mechaninicial pump on the engine using a jerry can and a fuel line. Try to get the engine running. If the engine runs with no issues it is definetly the fuel line. The issue might even be insideof the tank.

12. elite1msmith

from chicago

well we disconnected the fuel line , and put an air gun up to it ... no leaks , even was able to hold pressure and blow air back into the return line into the tank

so now what?

13. jay723

jay723 Member
    from SE CT

bleed the lines going to the injectors. Crack them loose one by one and have some one crank it un till no bubbles.

14. elite1msmith

from chicago

i was under the imprestion that if the injectors had air the motor wouldnt run , or it would be very rough? why would it run for 4 mins at a time?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  15. elite1msmith

from chicago

ok guys ,

i did a jerry can rig

I disconnected the hose from the fuel heater/pre filter that runs to the lift pump. I put my own hose and small gas can in place and hung it from the hodd 3 feet above the motor.

heres what i found. The motor ran fine , with no problems for as long as i wanted, I could shut it down and restart it with no problems. PROVIDED I kept the tank with fuel ... I say this becasue it emptyied a 1/2 gal gas tank in about 1 min time. we were also messing around under the tank and had the fuel return line disconnected., which we saw LOTS of fuel pouring out of it.

we reconnected the line to the tank. and then restarted it , kept the motor running. we poured about 5 gals of gas in the think in only a few mins time.

so is this flow rate back to the tank , in the supply line normall? is it supost to pump that much fuel?

we connected an air hose backwards into the supply line, and found no leaks, even could hear bubles in the tank as we blew air.

so im wondering if the return valve is stuck open ,. and the lift pump has a hard time suppling that much fuel to it?

16. elite1msmith

from chicago

ok so i checked up on a few things. the pump is suppost to pump that my fuel

i moved my jerry fuel can from the hood to the floor , to verify that the pump could actually suck

17. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

maybe your fuel tank is the problem how much fuel does the truck have in it? does the problem happen when its full also? i had a similar problem with my 84 w-250 gasser. it would run fine with a full tank but once below a 1/2 it would run for about 10 minutes then stall. then i would let it sit for about 20 min. and it would start right back up. the problem ended being the screen in the pickup tube in the tank.

18. elite1msmith

from chicago

ok so heres the deal ., I put my jerry can down on the concrete floor and the lifter pump was still able to suck and draw fuel up ,

I disconnected the rubber fuel hose from the steel line at the engine. prior to the fuel heater. I put a hand vacum pump on it , and i was able to draw from the tank , So bascily i got new hose, and by passed the existing hose, fuel heater, and short hose from the heater to the lifter pump . As of this moment , it seems to run fine.

in the process of testing , about 15 gals was added to the fuel tank via the fuel return line. So either the problem was an air leak in all those parts we bypassed (fuel heater , and hose) or there is a leak in the pick up tube in the tank and the newly added 15 gals is above that fuel level ...time will tell

19. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

did you fill your fuel filter cannister with diesel before reinstalling it if not cycle the key a couple of times and see how long the pump runs, and also yes usually if you have a air lock the motor wont crank, did you crack the injector lines where they go to the injectors by the head loosen injector 1 and 3

20. Lifted4x4Astro

Lifted4x4Astro Senior Member

Ummm skidooer....you should go back and actually read the thread. He did fill the fuel filter and his 94 does not have an electric pump. Oh and the engine will crank over perfectly fine with air in the injector lines.