1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thanks for the help, I think.

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by HALH VT, Dec 13, 2005.

1. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

A client called me yesterday morning to ask for sand on his driveway. The man is disabled and doesn't drive anymore, so his wife, who is less than skillful at winter driving, does all the errands etc. She had slid off a corner the day before, and the man who does their yard work and so forth had come up and pulled her out. Afterwards he got some sand somewhere and spread it on the worst part of the corner. Unfortunately there must have been about 90% salt in the sand. I went up to scrape off the little bit of snow there was , before the sand truck got there. That corner was a slimy mess! The salt had eaten into the frozen gravel surface and left about two inches of melted slush, mud, and sand. I scraped it over twice and there was still more than an inch in the deepest part of the wheel tracks. Put the sand down on it and hoping for the best, but I bet that it will be loose and sloppy for several weeks.