1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

thanks for the free estimate ...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nekos, Nov 30, 2005.

1. nekos

nekos Senior Member

i got a call from a guy asking me to come out to give him an estimate. i told him that im really not taking any more customers this year. after a few minutes talking to him i broke down and said fine , i think i can find a way to put you on my route...

after driving out to meet him < he insisted on it > i gave him a quote for his driveway. he seemed very happy and pleased at my prices.
    the next thing he said to me was , thanks for the estimate . im going to give this to the guy that plowed my drive way last year and a few other people coming out to look at my driveway.
    if they can't beat your price i will give you a call for sure !!! oh by the way this price includes shoveling my walk and putting salt on the walk and drive way right ?:angry: :angry: :angry:

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Just tell him you forgot to mark your min. then put on there 12ft.:D

3. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

teach him one

You all must know how to handle those people right?? You and your buddies just happen to drop the blade in the street and push a little into his drive during the night..One guy that stole an account from us, came out to plow in the a.m. and found piles 8 feet high around his truck!! Too many peopl etry taking advantage of us.

4. little pat

little pat Member

We have a scumbag around here that advertises in the paper that he will beat any written price. Obviously he's too stupid to do his own estimating.

5. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

This is why the only WRITTEN price I will give in on a piece of paper that will cost you at least $300.00. I call it my contract:nod:

6. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

I would mail him a bill for an estimate. Tell him thats your policy and if he refuses to pay it tell him your lawyers can settle it. People pay pretty quick when they hear that.

7. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

I like that one :nod:

8. norrod

norrod Senior Member

I like it, but you should not openly confess to criminal activities.

and second, how does one steal acounts in a free market?

9. nekos

nekos Senior Member

Update :
    yesterday i went out to put up stakes on another account a few houses down from this guy. i wasn't planning on taking any more account's this year but i knew this person from high school.

anyway, while i was putting the stakes up at her house...
    MR. I'll call you if i can't get a better price, comes running up to me.
    Im so glad i saw you drive by , i lost your phone number and every one was booked up or way to expensive. the guy i had last year said he is getting out of the business.
    my reply ...
    im sooooo sorry ,< ya right > i can't plow your driveway this year. i got 8 more customers and i just don't have time to do any more account's this year.
    needless to say he wasn't happy and im now getting sued for giving him an estimate and not backing it. lol

is it me , do i just draw these idiot's to me or something ??? do all you residential guy's go threw this too ???

< edit >
    BTW , im not a lowballer, i don't think :p
    i sub for a large snow removal company
    i just do residential's for gas money. but i am lower then most in my area.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2005
  10. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

If your going to give written estimates date them and put on it that this estimate is valid for 7 days from that date.

11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Idiots are everywhere!
    Don't make eye contact,walk away before they notice you!

12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

If you plow residential's for gas money, you may be a low-baller!!!
    When I plow I plow for gas, insurance, wear and tear on equipment, and to make a profit. So, if your prices are just to cover your gas cost then you are a HOBBY PLOWER or by industry standards a lowly LOW-BALLER:gunsfiring:

13. drplow

drplow Senior Member

a guy out here advertises that he will beat any estimate by 5%. you could tell that his theory is working and how everyone should follow.
    he drives a broken down pickup, that the tyranny blows at least twice a year. want bankrupt a few years ago. was so poor that some organization built him a home for free because he had no money. but at the same time he has a business year round.

14. festerw

festerw Senior Member

That's rediculous, just because you give an estimate does not mean you have to do the work, you have the right to refuse service to anyone.

15. nekos

nekos Senior Member

lol i know , i was just laughing when he said that to me.

hehe trust me , im far from a lowballer. like i said i do residential customers just to pay for gas. i also work for Snow Systems. that is where i make my money. im not out there chargeing $12 for a driveway that most would charge $30 + for . i charge $25 - $35 . the average in my area is about $25 - $40.
    <<< warning rant comeing on >>>
    big pet peve of mine !!!
    if some one has a lower price then some one else, they are a lowballer.
    i always ask one question to people that say this ...if you can operate your business at a lower cost and pass thoughs saveing's on to your customers , does that mean your a lowballer or just better business man ?

16. drplow

drplow Senior Member

just because your price might be lower does not mean your a low-baller. a low-baller is some one who charges much less than most because they are fubar. example: driveways in your area are going for 20-40 per plow. and your making a profit and doing good. then some low-baller comes along and charges 7-25 for driveways. now thats a low-baller. why, because it is not economically feasible to profit from such prices once you figure out the bottom line when you are done.

17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Drplow:<<< warning rant comeing on >>>
    big pet peve of mine !!!
    if some one has a lower price then some one else, they are a lowballer.
    i always ask one question to people that say this ...if you can operate your business at a lower cost and pass thoughs saveing's on to your customers , does that mean your a lowballer or just better business man ?[/QUOTE]

Relax:nod: you said you were plowing Ress for gas money, thats where my low-baller comment came from. Some plowers do have lower over head than others do, allowing them to plow for less $$$ and still make a profit.
    Does that make you a better business man? No, just one with less over head and less $$$ in your pocket.:waving:

18. drplow

drplow Senior Member

Relax:nod: you said you were plowing Ress for gas money, thats where my low-baller comment came from. Some plowers do have lower over head than others do, allowing them to plow for less $$$ and still make a profit.
    Does that make you a better business man? No, just one with less over head and less $$$ in your pocket.:waving:[/QUOTE]

theres a fine line between what people charge and if they profit. its not rocket science. even with very low overhead, prolific low ballers will never make a profit and if they do, its not much.

19. nekos

nekos Senior Member

Does that make you a better business man? No, just one with less over head and less $$$ in your pocket.:waving:[/QUOTE]

hehe trust me , i wasn't upset at that at all !!!
    i know what a low baller is and how they can mess things up for the people that make a liveing off of this. all i really ment by it was , it kinda bugs me when some one is called a low baller just because they charge less.

20. wddodge

wddodge Member

Lets look at this from another angle. You call contractors "A" and "B" for estimates for your roof. Contractor "A" drives by and sees contractor "B" is doing the job. Contractor "A" goes home and sends you a bill for giving you an estimate. You're going to write him out a check how fast???

Get real.