1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thanks employee!

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by GSS LLC, Mar 5, 2014.

1. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

hit a 500 dollar sign. backed completely off of the parking lot to do so. thats strike one for driving to fast. strike two for failure to maintain controll and driving off a parking lot into the grass. and strike 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 and 10 for hitting a 500 dollar sign. to the soup line for him. :gunsfiring::angry::gunsfiring:

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

500 sign. That's it. Wow that's cheap. One of our Yahoos got a sign to the tune of 4200. So I think your doing better then us lol.

3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Agreed, I've had a bill for a $6700 light pole before.

4. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Is it a first offense? No one is perfect.

5. locqus

locqus Junior Member
    from Detroit

$500 sounded pretty heavy until I saw the rest of them. We are a smaller operation and that would devastate us!

6. Mike_C

Mike_C Senior Member
    from Jersey

I've been plowing for about 17 years and I've had a bill for $7100 for a light pole, & 2200 for a sign, $ 1200 for a sign, $850 for a basement egress door, and a few bills in the 800 - 1,300 range for garage doors. Sh*t happens, that's what insurance is for

7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Exactly!.......

8. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I lightly backed into a snowbank the other night although no damage to the truck there was a slight indent in the snowbank. man was I ashamed of myself....I'm thinking write up/suspension.

As others have said $500 is cheap. Could have been a person.

9. xjoedirt55x

xjoedirt55x Senior Member

I do not know all of the facts, or past history with the guy, but if he is always breaking stuff, and always reckless, good riddance, but if it is a first time offense or the guy has a good track record, it could be an expensive mistake, but mistakes happen and could be something for everyone to learn from.

Your call though, it is your money and your business.

10. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

ive told him he goes to fast in the past. its not a race. hes paid hourly. I dont know if hes trying to show off or what.

11. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Be thankful it wasnt a phone junction box, those are thousands to repair.

12. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure how your routes are set up. But can you "baby sit" him. You and him at the same account?
    If its good riddence then so be it but if there's hope maybe work with the guy?

13. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Sounds like someone is speaking from experience

14. speedy1wrc

speedy1wrc Senior Member

While that's what insurance is for, companies today are pretty quick to cancel. If you get canceled just go and try to get insurance from another company. I had a cancellation due to an administrative error. My insurance agent went belly up and took all his client files with him (%#%#&!!). My fault for not noticing I didn't get a bill. But a cancelation nonetheless. No accidents, no claims, but it took awhile before I could find another company to take me. They didn't want the risk even though I explained what happened.

15. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

yeah, it would have to be a few grand before i even considered insurance.

16. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

Imagine if it had a sander on it and you broke the chute too.

17. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Last sign I hit was a high school score board for the football field. :eek: Not to sure of the cost but I'm sure it wasn't cheap. payup

18. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

WOW. been plowing for 19 years and have never had to pay for anything to be repaired or needed insurance for anything ...Where did you guys learn how to drive/plow? lol

19. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Then you must not have employees

20. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

x2!!! You should see the way a 50 some year old man was running my backhoe today.. "Been on equipment my whole life"

If that's true he's been wrecking chit his whole life and probably has killed 7 people.

I sub for a larger company and he's had his short box 1500 dented all around and tailpipe broken off, his 2012 Chevy HD is dented to hell and has broken plastic on the bumper. A boss A frame bent 3" :eek:, Chevy HD high centered on a giant rock :laughing:, Case skid steer door shattered, and 1 small light pole destroyed by one of his guys running my backhoe.

Half of that crap was him himself, he's in his 60's and still pushes the hours pretty hard. He has lots of accounts, always on the phone with subs. He's made a killing this winter though, he has only 1 full time guy, 1 office guy, and 1 guy he lays off for winter, only comes in to plow, he subs the rest to young dumb guys like me :blush2:

Someday I'll figure out how to do 20% of the work for 60% of the pay lol