1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Th400 Tranny Swap

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by plummermark2002, Jan 12, 2004.

1. plummermark2002

plummermark2002 Member

I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT SWAPPING A TH400 TRANNY FOR A TH350. I HAVE A 1982 CHEVY SCOTTSDALE 3/4 TON WITH A 350 ENGINE & A TH350 TRANSMISSION, I WANT TO CHANGE IT TO A TH400 TRANNY, IT CAME OUT OF A 3/4 TON CHEVY OF THE SAME YEAR EXCEPT IT WAS A DIESEL ENGINE, I WAS TOLD IT WOULD NOT BE TO HARD I WOULD JUST HAVE TO CHANGE THE TORQURE CONVERTER AND THE SHIFT POINTS IN THE VALVE BODY AND ALSO I NOTICED THAT THE TH350 HAS A DETENT CABLE HOOKUP, IS THIS GOING TO EFFECT THE WAY THE TRANNY WORKS NOT HAVING THE CABLE HOOKED UP? ANY HELP WITH THIS WOULD BE APPRECIEATED. PLUMMERMARK.

2. SNOWPIMP

SNOWPIMP Member

Someone Else asked that same question about a week ago the diesel Trans has different Valve body calibrations and the diesel toque converter works in hundreds instead of thousands on the RPM side!

3. 78K20

78K20 Member
    from WV

kickdown

I'm not sure about the diesel engine part, but I am pretty sure that the kickdown won't affect the shifting. If you need to shift for passing etc. you could just do it manually. If you wanted the kick down for the th400 you would have to get the gas pedal bracket that has the reastat type deal for the electric kick down on the 400. You would also need the wire that hooks up to the tranny and goes to the gas pedal bracket. Then a wire with a plug feeds to the fuse block from the gas pedal. You should be able to find these parts in a junk yard. Hope this helps.

4. plummermark2002

plummermark2002 Member

swap th350 tranny for a th400

I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION ABOUT THE TH400 TRANNY, WILL THE CONVERTER FROM THE TH350 WORK WITH THE TH400 TRANNY, I LOOKED AT IT AND IT LOOKS ALITTLE BIT SMALL BUT MAYBE NOT, ANY HELP WITH THIS WOULD BE APPREICEATED! PLUMMERMARK2002!!