1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

th400 oil psi question..

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by spongebob, Jun 10, 2004.

1. spongebob

spongebob Senior Member

anyone know how much oil psi this tranny puts out?? i want to add a oil psi gauge..

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Depends were you are taking the reading from. I personally dont see much reason to run one on a consisten basis(maybe jsut to trouble shoot) Trany temp is more important.

a 300psi guage should be safe if you take it off the test port on the driverside. its a little obove and twards the back in relationship the gear selector. It kinda sticks out too I believe.

3. spongebob

spongebob Senior Member

this truck is a 1 ton dually that i use as a service truck, i carry alot of weight and go up long mountain grades..i have a temp gauge, but thought a psi gauge would be of...use as well, thanks for your reply.:)

4. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Trans pressure varies widely during operation. It is only really relevant to a transmission shop.

As ratlover said trans temp is the only one relevant to the operator.

5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

PSI as was said is just a way to diagnoss a problem, if you start seeing a noticable pressure drop you will experience some slipping clutches(easy to feel) and heat. Its not like a water temp thing were you can look and say, gee I'm getting hot better start driving nice or figure out the problem. PSI drop generally means a smoked trany or at best a restricted filter.