1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

TH400 no reverse

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by terrapro, Feb 22, 2011.

1. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

My guy was stacking a pile and tried to pull out of it but lost reverse. Tugged him out and limped home. He said all the other gears shifted fine just no reverse. Fluid is fine and not burnt.

Anyone know anything about this?
  2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like low reverse clutch sprag unit. vary comn on the 400.

thay make a 32 eliment hd unit for them to get rid of the 16 eliment stocker.

need to pull tranny and pull pump and get to it inside.
  3. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Truck is going to the junkyard then. Not worth it to pull the trans out on this truck.
  4. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Let me know if you part out.
  5. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like a reverse band let go
  6. Striper1263

Striper1263 Member

My 92 Chevy did the same thing. I had the Tranny rebuilt by a guy in Toledo. $650.00 running good so far.

If you part out the truck please let me know.

7. dmax08

dmax08 Senior Member

I say the sprauge also.. Teath get warn and then pow she goes.. Its really not a big deal to fix.. I have had it happen a few times..
  8. damian

damian Senior Member

low reverse band,try manual low and check for engine braking ill bet it just coasts.either way trans comes out and apart.