1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

TH350 Flywheel cover size for 4x4?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by carldawson, Apr 9, 2003.

1. carldawson

carldawson Junior Member

I am mounting a TH350 trans up to a 350 engine, and am missing the flywheel cover. My mechanic says that the four-wheel drive TH350 uses a different size flywheel cover. Doesn't make sense to me- is he right? If so, where's the best bet for obtaining one? Thanks

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

The cover uses the same mounting locations,but the 4X4 covers can be built much stronger,and out of aluminum instead of stamped steel.They usually prode mounting points for any add'l engine braces or support bars.These all vay depending on year,make and model.

A regular stamped steel one will work,you just won't be able to mount the braces (if equipped,and it won't be as strong as the 4X4 cover.

A scrapyard would be the best bet,as then you can get the cover,braces and see how it all bolts together.

3. tileman

tileman Member

:) If you are going to go off roading get one somewhere. The cover was made to stop some of the flex between the motor and the trans, so you don't break the flywheel. After you have change one you will make sure you have the cast aluminum with all bracing in place.

Tileman

4. carldawson

carldawson Junior Member

Thanks.

Thanks for the replies. For the time being, I ordered an aluminum one and will see if it has mounting holes for the two braces shown in the shop manual. The braces are actually getting a bit hard to find in scrap yards. Any suggestions on a vendor would be appreciated. Carl Dawson