1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

th 400 trans

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by campi, Oct 19, 2003.

1. campi

campi Member

doing filter & fluid change. does any one know difference between dextron ll & dextron lll ?? it saws to use dextron ll ?? i have case of dextronlll any help??? Campi !!!!!
  2. towman

towman Member

the 111 replaced the 11 and should be used in it's place, saw where pennzoil has come out with a synthetic blend to replace just about all the other types of fluids
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

They are both the same,and III is backwards compatable with II.

from SE PA

II & III

dextron II was superseeded by dextron III. dex III is compatable with II and can be added on top of II, although it is better to change and replace. The differance between II & III is III has a newer spec. and is enengered for new o-rings and seal stability. alaways use the higher spec. number, never the other way.
  5. wyldman

wyldman Member

I just noticed the post about the Pennzoil multi purpose ATF.I believe other oil mfg's have stuff on the market now too.STAY AWAY.We have tried it,as our suppliers have been trying to make the switch to just one fluid.It doesn't work in everything,and causes problems.Buy the right fluid for your truck,as specified by the manufacturer.

Consider adding a drain plug to the pan when you have it off,it makes it so much easier to change fluid,and drop the pan when it's empty.
  6. campi

campi Member

trans service done!!

thanks to every one who answered my question!! about trans fluid!! would have replied sooner , was away working on truck. did complete trans service using dextron lll complete flush, filter, drained all fluids rears, transfer case, rad. went over everthing getting ready to plow!!! even new brakes and new emregency brake cables front to back!!!! dont want to be doing this in middle of winter!!! thanks again!! Campi !!!!!!