1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tgso5b spreader problem

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by cutbetterthanyo, Feb 9, 2010.

1. cutbetterthanyo

cutbetterthanyo Senior Member

I just bought this spreader last night and it seems like a nice unit.My problem is i put salt in it an half of the first bag ran right out of it on the ground.And once i got it stoped and filled it up it seemed like it used alot of salt 400 pounds on a 500-600 foot driveway. I was flooring the truck to make it go that far.Or is this just how much you guys put down.

The guy i bought it from said there is only adjustment on how fast the spinner spins but no adjustment on how much comes out is this true? He also said it needs #1 rock salt which i think i have, but not sure i called my supplier and he don't know about the number 1 ,but said it is meduim rock. Is meduim rock and #1 the same?

Sorry from the seemingly dumb question about the salt, but i am in a smaller town that doesn't normally get much snow so no one seems to know much of anything. Is is driveing me nuts.How do people sell stuff they know nothing about? Its crazy :help:

2. cutbetterthanyo

48 views and no help. Glad to join a site with so may helpful people. It doesnt matter now anyway buyers is going to sent me a different auger for my spreader because this seems to be a common problem. For now i am useing the most course salt that i can find, solar salt for water purafiers it works ok.Glad to know where to not come for advise.

3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

hey, cut a little slack. there are some helpful people on the site, many of whom are willing to help if they can. i don't own a buyers spreader, so i can't give a lot of advice but, i KNOW this problem has been talked about before, so use the search button and look up old posts and i well guarantee you well find usefull info about your problem. And if you aren't able to use the search function it is because you don't have enough posts yet, check out a bunch of stuff, make some comments, contribute a bit, and the answers well come. AND hey WELCOME TO PLOWSITE

4. cutbetterthanyo

Im not trying to be a jerk i am just mad cus i just droped 1600 that i don't really have, just to haved it not work. When i posted this i was in the middle of a storm where i needed it cus my otheir spreader broke, and just could not get answaers from anywhere. I am still curious as to my question about the salt.how much does a spreader set up right use on a 500-600foot drive? And what is the deal with # 1 salt or medium course,extra course etc.. All the spreaders said #1 and all the bags say meiudum or course.I even called American Salt (the bags i get locally)and the lady said"i worked in the salt industry for 33 year and never heard of #1 rock salt" i am just very confused sorry for coming off like a A$$.

5. buckwheat_la

thats ok, go up to the ice forum and ask that question, i am sure that i have seen that question asked also. Do you have the search button/function?

6. buckwheat_la

if i remember correctly (please dont quote me on this) #1 rock salt is the smallest rock salt you would find, usually the same stuff they use in (lets say) safety salt, sold at walmart

7. cutbetterthanyo

thanks alot i do have the search button but i guess i never type in the right keywords cus i will look for stuff for hours and never find a answer i need, not just here but on lawnsite,google or whatever. i try to come on these 2 site like a religion so i don't have to use the search button.i'll keep lookin or maybe post something in the ice section like you suggested.thanks for taking the time to help me out. I can say that i am a little dissapointed in buyers that i had to keep calling to reach a tech and the first one i left a merssage in the morning and never got a return till the end of the day.i guess its better than not at all. I also kind of though that the guy on here that represents buyer would chime in.I am just getting into this snow game and went with buyers because they were the closest to me but i am not greatly impressed with service so far.

8. buckwheat_la

http://http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=98003&highlight=salt+problems

check out this link, doesn't answer it exactly, but gives you an idea about what companies are doing what. also do a search for tgs05b lots of info, (unfortunately not all of it good) the jest of what i got out of most the threads, is that the spreader can be tempermental but if you get the right size of salt it works alright, i also saw that one guy had made some sort of trap door for his spreader