1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tgs07 spinner guard issue

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by magnatrac, Nov 17, 2013.

1. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I picked up a new tgs07 last thursday and had time to assemble and instal it saturday. The assembly and instal went smooth and was rather painless. I was excited to see what this could do so I figured a bag of wet sand would be a good test. I was impressed how it spit that sand out to say the least. I did how ever confirm a small issue that I noticed during assembly. The spinner guard is right in the way of the product being thrown. It really blocks the spread pattern on the sides and almost blocks it out the back.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All of the pictures of the 07 I can find online have a guard that is much lower and mount to the side of the spreader frame rather than bottom like my version does. With the small amount of sand I spread it was bounching off of it at the truck and all over. I know that with salt it's really going to be in the way. I would take it off but I like the idea of something being there to help protect the spinner. I was thinking of just cutting and stacking some 2" square tube that I have to shim it down . I can either use long bolts or weld them on. What do you guys think ?

One other issue is that the new controller has a mind of it's own. No matter where you set it the speed chasnges up and down a few settings. All the way up and 8 is as high as it will go and it varys from 5-8 all on it's own. If I hit blast it will jump to 9. I have the same controller thats a few years old from my old spreader and with that one it works just fine so I guess I need a new controller to replace my new controller ! Even with these issues I am really looking forward to trying this thing out. I just don't like when I have to fix and modify something brand new.

,shaun

2. 04ram1500

04ram1500 Member

I just got a new TGS03, it has the guard mounted the same way. That said I have only used it a couple of times with dry bulk salt, I haven't noticed that problem.

I think the problem you are having is because of the wet sand, It is heavier and stickier therefore stays on the spinner longer, dry material flies off before it gets back to where the guard is.

I do think your solution of putting a spacer to drop the guard down will definitely fix the issue.

I agree that sometimes it is a pain to re-engineer something that is new, but it's the nature of the beast. I had to make some new mounting feet for my spreader because the tailgate on the new dodges has 4" step at the top. The spreader wouldn't sit on the bumper.

It is what it is..

That is why companies want to hear from the end users, it allows them to make changes and make products better.

3. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Why not flip the bar over?

4. magnatrac

Yeah I thought of that and also just bending it down. The problem with those options is that they both leave the shaft exposed. Flip it up and it's to high to offer any protection and bent it down enough end it will swing under to much also leaving it exposed. I know this bar is only for light protection but I like the idea of it bring there. It took out the motor on my old buyers spreader in a slow speed slow motion slide into a split rail fence post. That bent the motor shaft but on that spreader the motors are cheap. I think I am just going to do the shim and maybe tilt it up one more hole on the mount. That should help and is easy enough to do.

On another note I picked up three harbor freight trailer tounge jacks yesterday to make my one man mounting system. I park on gravel so it's never the same and uneven. I plan to slide 1.5" tube through the cross bar on the front of the spreader frame and also into the tube that runs the length of the spreader. These will just pin in and have a tounge jack on the end. It will be easy to hitch and unhitch the spreader solo on any type of ground with or without a load in the truck. Similar to how you level a portable light tower. Figure it will work and if I ever get asphalt a wheel kit on the jacks would make it easy to roll around. I know this sounds like more extra work but I want to be able to load this thing myself. Even with 2 guys it's awkward getting it on the truck.

5. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

I was talking to the engineer on this - the position of the guard is because of the bumper thickness. If you see how this "clamps" to the bumper you'll see what I mean. Try moving the mount up or down a hole - that will change the orientation of the hopper (which the spinner is mounted to) and the mounting frame (which the guard is mounted to). I think it will make sense once you take a look at it. We'll look at this - what model and year truck is that?

Your other suggestions would work as well, but it may be as simple as using a different hole between the hopper and mount.

If you can demonstrate that controller issue to your dealer that should be warranty. I know the controller will give extra power to the motor if it detects it slowing down, but I don't think it should ever change the display.

6. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

If you flip it over it will still protect it. It would be the same distance out, just higher

7. magnatrac

First off that you for the response! My truck is a 2011 F-350 crew cab diesel . I planned on tilting the spreader and agree that will help. Just curious though why they changed the guard from what is shown on the cover of the instructions and all the pictures online. The guard in those mounts different. Again not a big deal to fix I just thought I'd see if others had noticed this.

As for my controller when it was surging it was empty and the display would change along with the spinner speed. It would also never go to max speed without the blast button. I never tried it with load on it I just put it back in the box. Do you think that maybe it needs a load to work smooth? My old controller works fine so I know it's not the spreader. My dealer is over an hour away so I don't know when I'll have time to get it there. I need more time in the day and less to do l.o.l.
    Thanks again ,shaun

8. pdreibels

pdreibels Member

On another note I picked up three harbor freight trailer tounge jacks yesterday to make my one man mounting system. I park on gravel so it's never the same and uneven. I plan to slide 1.5" tube through the cross bar on the front of the spreader frame and also into the tube that runs the length of the spreader. These will just pin in and have a tounge jack on the end. It will be easy to hitch and unhitch the spreader solo on any type of ground with or without a load in the truck. Similar to how you level a portable light tower. Figure it will work and if I ever get asphalt a wheel kit on the jacks would make it easy to roll around. I know this sounds like more extra work but I want to be able to load this thing myself. Even with 2 guys it's awkward getting it on the truck.[/QUOTE]

I got this same spreader this season. I too need a 1-man way of hitching it up. I like the sounds of your idea...any chance you can post some pics?? Thanks

9. NuverPlawd

NuverPlawd Member

Just bend both ends symmetrically outwards. Setting 7/8 for long driveway runs, 9 and haul ass for open areas.

3/4 for slow restaurant drive thru's

You'll have to tap the vib on and off.. never let it run for more than short bursts. if you leave it vib the material lands to the right -too much material for the little spinner.

remember: since the spin and aug are the same, the only thing you can do is adjust travel speed. unfortunately that means driving in circles quite rapidly to get an even spread. .lol. got my hands on a used 075, i'll feel like penndot with it. big dog style in a 3/4 ton truck. :-=0

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015