1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tgs o7 easy mounting

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by magnatrac, Nov 24, 2013.

1. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Ok the title says it all. I needed an easy way to mount and dismount my spreader from my truck so I can get a tote of bulk salt in or out of the bed of my truck. I wanted to be able to do this by myself and on uneven ground. I park on gravel so I needed an adjustable way of mounting the spreader. I used materials I had on hand other than the trailer tounge jacks. The tounge jacks were $20 each at harbor freight. All in all it was a quick easy project that will make my life much easier.

[​IMG]

I had planned on using square tube to go inside the spreader frame but the 1.5" wouldn't quite clear so I used some round tube with a ground down piece of angle welded to it. This keeps the legs on the jack from twisting. It is an easy job to use the jacks. Just slide them in place throw the pins in that hold them and set the level. After the truck bed is loaded or unloaded it will be simple to adjust to the new height. I plan on adding some large wheels that will roll on the gravel in my yard. Harbor freight had cheap ones but I wanted to see how this worked before I picked those up.

[​IMG]

The jacks are real easy to take on and off of the spreader. They even fold smaller when not in use. For my application of uneven ground this mount system works great. I tried just using the skid loader but that was a pain to get it right where it needed to be . I'm sure there is other ideas for quick mounting but this was what I came up with.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  2. pdreibels

pdreibels Member

Disregard my post on the other thread.haha. Glad I found these pics!

3. magnatrac

Just saw your post , glad you found the pics. The quick mounting works great but I switched the two front stands so the jack is to the back side of the pipe. This gives room for the crank to clear the bumper ,trial and error ! I hope this works as well for you.

4. pdreibels

pdreibels Member

Also curious....are you running this spreader on a truck with single or dual batteries? And what sort of spread distance/pattern are you getting?

5. magnatrac

Yes my truck has dual batteries. I run bulk through it, 12 yards so far this season along with a couple yards of treated sand. The bulk spreads about 20 ft. or so and it's heavy to the drivers side. I still am having issue with the salt hitting the guard on the passengers side. I dropped it 1.5" and tilted it quite a bit. The salt still hits it , you can see it in the lights flying all over on that side along with a highly polished section on the guard. If I ever get a break in the weather I'm just going to make a new one. It would just take it off but I know I would back right into something. Other than that it spreads pretty good !

6. pdreibels

pdreibels Member

I have a gas f250 with single battery. When I first wired it up everything functioned fine with no material in it. Tried running bagged salt thru and I would either get error codes on the controller or very little speed on the spinner/auger. Put a brand new battery in it and closed up the baffle a bit inside the spreader. This helped a little bit but best I would get was about a truck width of spread and 2 heavy trails just below the spinner. I think that may be from it either hitting the stainless shield and dropping down or hitting the orange guard. Any thought on the poor spreading distance? Is it just a lack of power from running a single battery?

7. magnatrac

How is the chute set that drops the salt on to the spinner? You don't need 2 batteries to run the spreader. My truck is a diesel that's the reason I have 2. Have you tried hooking the spreader motor direct to a battery to see it it runs fast. That would rule out a bad controller and show you what full speed looks like. The controller that came with mine was messed up. It had a mind of its own. Luckily I had a spare from another spreader to hook up and figure it out.

8. pdreibels

pdreibels Member

Ive tried setting the chute at different places. Probably had it around halfway open or less. What speed setting have you found to work best? I really haven't had the patience and time to figure this thing out and unfortunately that means its in my garage not being used. Also how would I hook it directly to the battery to test? Thanks in advance for the help!

9. magnatrac

99 percent of the time it's set at 9 or full speed. To run it off a battery just jump the + on the motor to the + on the battery. Same procedure for the - side.