1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

text messaging and email

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by FIREMAN Q, Nov 19, 2009.

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

With blackberry and Iphones more popular I was just wondering how many of you use text messaging and emails during your day to day communications with clients and employees. I have found that some of my bigger clients like to use text messaging and emailing for the majority of the communications. Also with the employees it tends to work great to pass quick info.

Just curious on everyones thoughts
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Still old fashion ,I like to use the phone.
  3. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I text every day. I've had Palm's for years. Just got the new Pro. I get emails from customers & vendors daily.

Makes it simple to give/get all the information that is needed for a job/bid. And there is a record of it if anything comes up.

Snap a picture of something that looks good or bad and email it to the person that needs to see it.

Text employees while they are on noisey equipment and when they get a chance to look at it, my message is there. They can text back without shutting down equipment to be quiet. (yes they do stop the equipment prior to texting)

Grandview, it even has a phone on it that I can call people on.
  4. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

a lot of my customers like email and i often text my guys for lot updates and conditions and what not
  5. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

Txt most of my guys, but still have to call one.i find it is just faster. I can send the same question to all at one time. Customer I still call on the phone.
  6. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Whoever wants to get a hold of me by whatever means, I will respond. Phone, text, email, BBM, but not facebook because I don't want the crazy ex-girlfriends finding me.
  7. Farmall Teen

Farmall Teen Junior Member

The crew that I am on always uses cell phones, my boss has to call me like normal, but some of the guys have the 2-way radio phones, so we use that a lot. When I started, we were using CB radios and we may start using them again.
  8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

X2, except a BB not a Palm. I can't imagine life without these days.
  9. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

i was thinking about putting CB radios in the cabs of our loaders/tractor/skids...but then i thought about theft and what not...but that would definately be the easiest way to communicate
  10. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

CB's are definitely most efficient but you cant pass secrets...I text everyday and email constant with customers, phone calls are becoming something of the past.
  11. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

i have had three palm phones and I couldnot live without them upgraded to the pro 4 months ago. I lke having the ability to keep in contact with all my clients no matter how they rprefer, phone, text, email. It also helped me land bis due to the fact I can give answers to potential clients within a few minutes. plus i run the weather the whole time I am in the truck.
  12. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

My new phone is the Telus i580 contractor grade. We use the mikes everyday to communicate to the foremans on job sites. But all client talk is done thru phone, e-mail & occasional FAX.

It would be kinda awkward to send text messages to clients tho? lol

This is my first camera phone too....:D

13. jayman3

jayman3 Senior Member

Cre get with the times I had that phone two winters ago LOL
    I either use my Mike,also do lots of texting with contractors and foremen everything else is phone.
  14. ultimateinc

ultimateinc Senior Member

one of my great customers who is in his 60's sent me a text one day asking for more work. i thought it wouldn't be to professional to send him a text to confirm work, but then i thought maybe he didn't want to talk so i replied back. i found that i will not text my employees anymore cause i did one time to send them to another job and they never made it there i was pissed so when i met up with them i took there phones before i told them about the text due to the fact they could have deleted it. i seen they never got it so couldn't be mad at them. alot of messages don't always go through. so now to make sure i just call or print out a work order and time schedule they are required to meet for each job and location.
  15. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I just picked up the Moto Droid, Its pretty nice having email up in less than 2 seconds. I have a few customers that text me as well, sometimes you just don't want to talk to people, it happens.

Those stupid 2-way things would be nice for plowing with other employees, but im not buying another phone.
  16. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I use primarily email and phone contact with customers, email is becoming more commonplace, especially with property managers who would rather email now than talk on the phone. Most small customers are still phone though. I do have a manager of a large property we do that text's me quite often. But running Blackberry, Text and emails are handled the same way regardless...
  17. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

I have a Blackberry and a Bluetooth, so however anyone wants to communicate with me is just fine. As long as they are communicating with me, that means I have work. Customers tend to prefer e-mail and phone, haven't had any text me yet.
  18. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

all of the above. been using a smart phone for a while now and I would be absolutely lost without out. We have some very demanding clients and text/email is much easier to screen the requests and faster to send a reply without talking to them on the phone for a few minutes about how bad the roads are ("can I make it to the grocery store?)

I will also be carrying a netbook with hi spd internet this winter for radar that I can actually see enough of the area to know whats going on. I may put my wifi printer back in the truck for route changes, haven't decided.
  19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I prefer the text/email to phone. As some of you can testify I won't even come to the phone during the day. I have people to handle that and I can answer 6 qustions email in the time of one phone call.
  20. snowman4

snowman4 Senior Member

I second that. Except, I have the grey instead of yellow.