1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

testt

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by ssscamaro, Sep 9, 2005.

1. ssscamaro

ssscamaro Junior Member

plow suggestions

I am researching a plow for my home use. Vehicle is a 95 suburban 1/2 ton 4wd ..in good mechanical shape ...used as daily driver by my wife so i need a plow that is easy/ quick to install remove . What brand or brands should i stay away from or look at ?? The drive way is over 700 feet long and about 10 feet wide with a slight grade and many curves. Whats the opinion to a rear plow like the snowman ?? Looks simple enough and i already have a class 3 or 4 receiver on back of truck. I would think that running over snow then plowing may make it difficult to remove snow that was just packed down from the tires ?? Any replies or suggestions would be appreciated.. if i dont by a plow what would i expect to pay someone to plow for me ?? Thanks Ryan

Last edited: Sep 9, 2005
  2. rabsparks

rabsparks Junior Member

Snowman Plows

I used my new Snowman for the first time last winter, and it did a good job although my technique was in need of work: I'm used to a front plow (on a tractor).

I did have some customer relations issues with Snowman and would probably not buy from them again. Technically speaking, the rear mounted plow did the job but our snow falls were no more than 6 inches at any one time.

Other comments:

1. I didn't like the Snowman installation as far as the wiring was concerned. Their cable comes made up so that you can only run the cabling from the rear to the front of the vehicle. Then you have to get the control cables through the firewall. That pretty much means blind drilling through the firewall a hole big enough to handle the cable bundle (probably about an inch in diameter). I separated the cables and routed the control wires through an access hole in the floor while continuing the power wiring under the Jeep to the front and made connection there. This, of course, voids the warranty.

2. Also be sure that you have a hitch that extends all the way to the rear of your bumper. There's not a lot of hitch length on the plow and if you don't have a hitch that extends all the way to the end of your bumper, you could have a problem.

3. It takes some getting use to since you really can't see the plow unless you tilt your sideview mirrors in a bit. Obviously if the front of your vehicle won't clear the snow, you're out of business.

4. The Snowman does not allow back dragging, which I didn't find to be a problem although others here have complained about it. There's another rear mounted plow that you can back drag.

5. You'll need to buy a set of plow dolleys, best gotten from Northern Tools. Without them you won't find aligning and installing the plow much fun.

6. I bought my Snowman plow from the manufacturer since there wasn't dealer in the area. If you do that make sure you take the option that has them assemble it for you. I had enough fun installing it: I didn't need the assembly headache. Best if you can buy the plow from a dealer.

7. Get all your questions answered before the sale. Post sale support is not up to my standards.

8. I had an intermittent problem with the cable connector separating. There's no lock between the cable harness at the hitch and the cable that goes to the plow's electrics. It's a big connector, but if it gets jarred and disconnects, you're sitting there wondering why nothing's happening when you hit the joystick.

3. danno

danno Senior Member

That`s a good honest statement !:salute:

4. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Ya if I were you I'd jsut stick with a front mounted plow, brand will depend on local dealers and what they sell. If i were you I'd just get a regular duty 7.5 footer,