1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Testing Valves

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by odd1or2even, Dec 16, 2008.

1. odd1or2even

odd1or2even Senior Member

Is there anyway to test valves and coils for the meyers pumps? I have some spares and was wondering how you can test the valves and coils without taking off piece by piece from a working pump and see which works. Thanks

Steve

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can check the coils simply by powering them (along with ground too of course) and checking to see if they produce magnetism with a wrench or screwdriver.

But to check the valves to see if they're actually moving when the coils apply magnetism you'll need to pull them out of the valve body and physically watch them for movement.

3. KWest

KWest Junior Member
    from MA

Where should you be able to see the movement on the different valves?

4. archer39

archer39 Member
    from PA

x2, i don't want to drop money to replace a good valve if i don't have to

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Very easy to do.

1) Pull the coil & valve from he pump.

2) Re-install the coil back onto the valve.

3) Using a battery, ground the coil to the neg post on the battery while touching the coil lead to the positive post of the battery.

4) You should physically feel the valve click open. And if you look closely directly into the end of the valve you should see the internal spool move inward into the valve. They don't move much so you have to watch closely, especially on the A valves.

If it doesn't move then either the coil is bad or the spool is stuck. You can push in on the spool a few times with a small screwdriver to see if it frees up. If you can move it by hand but the coil won't, then likely the coil is bad.

6. archer39

archer39 Member
    from PA

thank you very much