1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Testing Strobe System

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by White Gardens, Feb 24, 2011.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I looked around and did a search, but didn't find a good answer.

I have a two head strobe box for the rear of my truck. As far as I know it's just a simple setup with one flash pattern.

I know how to check for power to the box and such, but is there a way to test the two wires at the strobe head for power when I go to trace the problem.

I wasn't sure if a multi-tester would work or if I would burn it up.

Thanks in advance, and if there is another good thread about this, just let me know or post a link here.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I don't think so. You can get a nice little poke if you touch the bare wires on the strobe cables. Fallow them back from the power supply and see if they are cut or chafed anywhere. If not try replacing the cable and see if that's the issue. The cables are cheaper than bulbs.
  3. White Gardens

I figured as much. I saw that Wheelen has a tester you can buy from them, but I'd like to know how much that is.
  4. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

I checked my LEDs in the back with my multimeter. But those are for LEDs. If the wires are routed so that they're hard to visually inspect you might try taking the power supply out and just hooking 12 volts to it, if you get 12 volts with the multimeter that wire is good.
  5. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

Anyone else see a problem here?, Strobes use 3 wires per bulb. You sure it's strobe?

As said, continuity is the way to check the wire.
  6. White Gardens

Ya, sorry, meant to say 3 wire. And yes, I do know for sure it's a strobe tube.

I haven't had a chance to do anything with them yet, and I also have some other electrical gremlins come out, and the first thing I wan't to do is start checking all the grounds on the truck.