1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Testing Iso Mod control and harness - need help

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by GripTruk, Jan 15, 2006.

1. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I wired up my truck and connected it to my plow. The headlights switch from truck to plow properly but the contoller light does not illuminate and the control does not do anything. Can I use the tests in this document on page 47-49 to test my setup? http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/27097_061503_web.pdf

My setup uses the isolation module and that document seems to be geared towards the relay setup.

The plow was hooked up to a different truck and working perfectly a week ago. The Vehicle lamp harness and iso module are brand new. So I have to imagine the problem lies somewhere in the control itself, a fuse, or one of the connectors. I had continuity on either side of the connector for the controller so it is not that particular connection.

If I know i can use the tests in that document I will be able to determine if the problem lies in the controller or the vehicle harness.

thanks

-Jer

2. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

JES.............Heres a quickie..............Take apart your handheld
    contrller (2 screws) MOST fishsticks/cab command controllers
    have a shortie sfe-6? GLASS tube fuse INSIDE the controller
    itself plus SOME have another in line fuse going to the fuse
    box. Check both.............I bet 1 is popped esp. if it worked fine
    before the swap..............geo

3. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Oops, forgot to mention I have a joystick control, not a handheld. I did open it up and did not find any fuses, and I didn't really know what I could test for continuity so I was at a loss to test it any further.

The pdf I lnked to seemed to be the next step but I don't want to test based on inforamtion that does not apply to me.

Thanks again... Jer

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Find buddy with a western or fisher and try his controller, this will save a ton of un-needed troubloe shooting. Remeber that if it is the controler, the pc board is replaceable for alot less money than the whole controller.

Check to make sure that your black/orange wires are plugged into each other (follow from ground side of battery to inline plug)

Check to make sure that you have a good power source coming into the controller (red wire stubbed out of the harness in the cab)

Check the 7.5 amp controller fuse in harness 1 (under the hood, 6 inches from iso mod)

check that you have power at the plug in the cab, red/yellow wire
    check black/orange wire at plug in cab for ground

5. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Thanks Crash.
    I'll try all that tomorrow.
    I don't have the plow where I'll be doing the testing, are some of these tests dependent on the plow being connected to the truck? If I don't have the plow should I have the the lighting and controll harness plugged into each other as they normally are when the plow is off?

I'll go with what you gave me to look at, as well as the pin config tests in that pdf, and move on from there if I don't find the problem there.

-Jer

6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Jer,

If you want to just try swapping controllers you will need the plow, unless you can try the controller in someone elses truck. Everything else is more or less a visuale check.

Might want to try fishers site for a schematic of the iso mod with a straight blade. Dont know why western hasnt gotten theirs up yet.

7. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Thanks for the help Crash.

I figured it out, I reversed the power feed for the control unit. I had put it on the switched side of the relay instead of the always hot side, therefor the unit wasn't getting power and thus not sending 12V to pin 1 to power up the controller.

All is well and the plow is now working.
    I just have to troubleshoot why the parking lights and signals aren't coming on, but everything else is up and running.

I'll end this like so many others have ended their threads...
    "Now we just need some snow to try this thing out!"

-Jer