1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Testing for bad fish stick

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Clint S, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

I want really be sure my ezv controller is bad before I pluck down $300 for a new one. I have visually inspected the wires and they look good, but I would like to test them too. Would it be possible to test for continuity between the pins the controller hooks into and the connector that plugs into the plow if I knew which pins/ holes match up. I turn the controller on and alot of the time the float light comes on when no buttons are pushed and if the plow is up it will suddenly lower.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure you can check continuity on the control harness. You can download the wiring/pin-out diagrams from Fishers website for your EZ-V.

3. samjr

samjr Senior Member

try FUSE REPLACEMENT

FUSE REPLACEMENT
    The cab control contains two 5AFB printed circuit
    board (PCB) mounted fuses. These fuses are to
    protect the solid state devices that control the six
    solenoid valves and the motor relay coil. If the control
    does not function and the 10-amp fuse under the
    vehicle hood is not blown, one or both of these 5AFB
    PCB-mounted fuses may be blown.

http://www.fisherplows.com/pdf/26406.05_070105.pdf

ok try this 1

http://www.fisherplows.com/pdf/27365.00_010107.pdf

go down to page 37tymusic LOWER – ELECTRICAL

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Don't think it's gonna be a fuse in this case Sam, as the controller works too good. :nod:

It'll either be a defective controller, a short in the control harness, or a corroded grill connector. :salute:

5. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

I already checked the fuse, Hey anything's possible? The plow actually worked for a short time after, that is why I am leaning for the controller. I remember seeing the diagram in the manual so I thought I would check here. Looks like I have a weekend project. I had better get a move on as there were flakes in the air this morning.

6. samjr

samjr Senior Member

go to the fisher dealer and ask to try 1 out to see if thats it then u know

7. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

sound slike a wire is crossed, or something is shorting out. i agree with b&b get the wiring diagram and check everyting, or flop down 300 and if that aint it atleast you got a spare...

8. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

before you buy a new fishstik, just get a replacement board, I have one but its not for a ezv, its for a straight blade. the board should cost you about $150.

9. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Plug in a new controller to your truck before you buy it. Then you will know if the problem is the controller, or the truck. Be careful, the problem might even be the operator..... ;-)

10. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

The only dealer around here said he would have to order it and even if he had one there would be a "diagnostic fee" to try it out. My old dealer moved 3 hrs away. I really do not know much about this guy except he wanted $382 for the controller and close to $200 for a motor when the controllers are 290ish all day on the net. Do the wires from the stick controller plug in run all the way to the plug in at the plow or is there a connection at the firewall.

11. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Oh man, I feel bad for you. Diagnostic fee to plug in a controller???? See if there is someone on PlowSite that lives near you, and try theirs out. Dam, that dealer definitly doesnt want to do business with you. $382 for a controller????????????? I feel bad for you man. If you were closer to me I would let you try out my controller.....and I wouldnt charge you a diagnostic fee, thats for sure. Surf around the other threads for some of the guys that know the electronics part of the plows real real well and ask them your questions. Im not one of those guys.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's all one shot.

13. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Good I am just going to match the ports in the cab to the ones at the grill and check continuity. If they test good I will get a controller. I was just checking out the mechanics guide and it looks like I can also jump some of the pins to test plow function too.

14. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes thats the correct one for the EZV's. If your still using the old mode button style controller you'll love the newer one. :nod:

The one your referring to that has a square plug is for the Xtreme V's as they use multiplex wiring in those and control all the functions thru only four wires..hence the different 4 pin square connector.

16. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No its a 4 pin for an Xtreme V. Wont work on your round plug EZV.

18. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

I checked all the wires in the harness from under the dash and then disconnected at the solenoids and they all are .5 to .7 ohms so the harness seems fine. All the pins where the stick plugs in check out ok according to the manual having 12v or ground. I think the controller finally gave up all the way, because it goes to float as soon as you turn the power on. I am going to disassemble the controller tomorrow and test the coiled connector if that checks out good I guess it is time for new controller.

19. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

20. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

I have an ezv and that one is for an extreme V