1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

testing fluid

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by sefh, Aug 26, 2006.

1. sefh

sefh Senior Member

I have 3 Meyer E47 pumps that I bought at an auction and they need to be rebuilt. I was wondering what would be a cheaper fluid to use than Meyers for testing these pumps after they are rebuilt? More than likely I will sell 2 of these pumps if I can get them to work but I don't want to spend the money on Meyer fluid just to drain them so I can ship them if needed. I have heard that I can use trans fluid. Is that correct or what else can I use that is cheaper. Thanks for your input.
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Water... lol

no, really, you will be fine using ATF to test your units, some folks run ATF all of the time. You can use the cheapest hyd oil you can find, like U.T.F. universal tractor fluid but it gets kind of thick when it's below 0 .
  3. sefh

sefh Senior Member

I don't plan on running these units with ATF fluid, just to test the pump with. I run Meyers in my setup.
  4. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

You could use ATF all the time, a lot of folks do.
    It just gets to thick(atf) when we get the bitter cold spells around here.
  5. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Did some checking on this also. Atf in meyers will also eat the seals in the pump unit. During my research i found Hyken Glacial blu hydro fluid has all the stats to be equal to meyer' blue. I have mot tryed it but if you read the data sheet it looks good but i have not found any local dealers so if anybody's tryed it let me know...
  6. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

How are you testing them?
    How are you rebuilding them?
    If they are cleaned properly, tested properly, and drained properly, their should be very little loss of the Meyer Fluid.
    Just my opinion, but if a pump is not tested and calibrated using the fluids that it will be run with on a normal basis, how can you guarantee that you tested and calibrated it correctly?
  7. LON

LON Senior Member

I agree!
    Never use ATF in these units. Turning over heavier oils is extremely hard on the motor as well as your vehicle electrical system! The low temp oils are to flow the same at -10 below as ATF does at room temp! The extra work the motor does creats more heat which in turn when the unit cools it creats more moisture in the unit. How much water do you want in there? Akin it to swimming in a pool of jello or water, which is gonna be easier? In my experience with these units over the last 20 years has been that Marvel Mystery Oil is close but would still test/flush with proper oil.
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Atf will be just fine in your units, the seals are nothing special.

bnewell QUOTE
    "As a Meyer dealer since 1974 I get this question every day. Yes, the Meyer oil is expensive, and I have seen all types of oil used in the Meyer pumps.

The Meyer owner manual actually used to say that if original Meyer oil was not available, to use ATF with a couple teaspoons of dry gas to help keep the moisture out of the system.
    I have always advised a flush of the fluids at least once if not twice a year. And do not forget the reversing cylinders!!!"

I prefer a AW 32 hydraulic oil, it will not affect the seals either:rolleyes:
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  9. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

Meyer Fluids

Both SnowFarmer and BNewell are a lot smarter and experienced than I.
    By the way, what happened to Bnewell? Sure miss his input.
    But from the aspect of Rebuild and Re-sale why would anyone put themselves in a postition of not using and testing with OEM Products? If you are serious about Re-Build Re-sale then I would say do it right. This is just my opinion.
    Again, if you do the cleaning, the re-build, and the testing correctly, you have no Warranty Issues to worry about and very little loss of fluids(if you have evacuated properly).
    If you do not have the knowledge, or the the products, or the equipment to do this properly, you should not be selling Re-Built Units. You should only be selling them as Used.
    I spent quite a bit of money in order to do things right.
    To us, Rebuilt is as good as new. Anything less is not acceptable.
    The above is my opinion.
    Ultimately, it is your choice.
    Their are a lot of people out their selling what they call Re-Built Pumps.
    If you were a buyer, who would you want to buy from? How would you want your pump Re-Built?
  10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

ibelee quote"But from the aspect of Rebuild and Re-sale why would anyone put themselves in a postition of not using and testing with OEM Products? If you are serious about Re-Build Re-sale then I would say do it right. This is just my opinion".

You make some very good points...:nod:
    I do not use any OEM oils in my trucks/ plow,s after break in. ( some OEM fluids are very good ) Most engine rebuild shops do not use OEM fluids and they warranty their work.
    Do you put your Manufactures (OEM) oil in your vehicles?

Q? :D Are you testing thees pumps in a walk in freezer so you get the same readings as in real life use? lol:waving:
  11. sefh

sefh Senior Member

Thanks for everyones input. I plan on putting new seals in these units but no I don't have all the proper testing equipment that the pros but I do have a good knowledge on how these pumps work. I just need to know if after I put new seals in if I can test with ATF fluid to make sure that the coils and valves work and that the pump moves properly.
  12. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

Just get regular blue hydraulic fluid
  13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

ATF is too viscous. If you are planning on draining it after you test it, use meyer flush, it's a little cheaper and is compatible with meyer fluid. Then if you sell 2 as you plan, the fluids left in the pump, (you never get it all out with-out taking it apart) will mix with what ever the buyer puts in.

I don't believe any one except Meyer builds a good as new pump. By the time a "re-builder" would truly make a pump "As New" they would have spent more money in parts and labor then you can by a new one for.
    By the time you replace the motor, pump, coils and cartridges, all the o-rings, pressure relief and crossover valves, clean, reassemble, adjust the pressure relief and crossovers, test, drain and paint, there is no profit or you have to charge as much as a new one. Maybe more if you used OEM as opposed to S.A.M. parts.

Most "rebuilt" pumps have just had the seals and o-rings replaced, and what-ever was broken fixed. No matter what method is used to test them they are still just "refreshed"
  14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

O.k. maybe I'm missing something???
    I thought he just wanted a cheep fluid to cheek out the power units with?
    He should use a flush before using any hydraulic fluid to remove any debris that may be present after a (refreshing)-(rebuild)-refurbished).

Now, he is done with the units and he drains them out. Their may be a residual amount of fluid left in the unit, but not enough to make any difference.
    Most non synthetic hydraulic fluids will blend together just fine. just do not mix synthetic and non synthetic oils.

I really do not see the problem, atf will mix just fine with the BLUE stuff. I used ATF when I was a kid and changed to the blue stuff just my draining out the atf and refilling it. I had no problems.:confused:
  15. sefh

sefh Senior Member

16. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

Good Discussion

sefh, you started a great discussion.
    No doubt about it, we all have our own opinions and our own personal experiences in this matter.
    That's the nice thing about this Forum. You can ask a question and get different answers from different people.
    sefh, I think your question was answered. It is up to you which answer you choose to be right for you.
    By the way SnoFarmer...Yes we do test our pumps in the freezer!:jester: Don't you?
    Now that was funny right there, I don't care who you are! lol.
  17. sefh

sefh Senior Member

Well that's the great thing about forums is to find out what you can learn from others. I think that is the best education. Test me I have learned out snow plows from this forum.purplebou