1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Testing coils on Boss RT3

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ftimbo, Jan 2, 2012.

1. ftimbo

ftimbo Junior Member

Boss RT3 no longer angles left or right. I can hear the pump working when I push the button but it does not swing left or right. I pulled the coils off the angle solenoid valve that control left/right and measured them with a multimeter. Both read 4.5 ohms. The other coils (up, down, and smart hitch) all read about the same. Is there a proper way to test the coils for magnetization? If they test OK, is there a way to test the angle solenoid valve?

Thanks.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

just pwr and gnd the 2 tangs, usually a screwdriver to see if they are working. pulling on the screwdriver.
    you could always switch the coils from up, down and hitch and see if it works left to right

3. ftimbo

ftimbo Junior Member

took off the coils and tested with a screwdriver. they both magnetized and both are definitely working.

I can't test the angle solenoid valve with the other coils.. the angle angle coils are a bit bigger than the rest.

before I go ahead and take off one of the angle hoses to see if theres fluid moving.. is there anyway to test the angle solenoid valve itself? anything I should look for? cleaned it with air compressor and it looks fine, o-rings are all intact look fine.. anyway to test the thing while it's out of the plow?

4. dieselss

Did you make sure you have pwr going to them when u angle left or right?

5. ftimbo

ftimbo Junior Member

there is. about 11V going to the coil when button is pushed.

6. dieselss

Hummmm ok. I assume u tested this with a meter instead of a test light?

7. ftimbo

ftimbo Junior Member

Yes tested with a meter.

8. dieselss

ok,,retry it with a test light.

9. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

I believe all coils are the same. Which is one of the best parts of a Boss plow. Check all loose connections. Meaning the point at which the controller connects to or where the plow mounts at the 13 pin connector.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If both coils tested ok for mag then the valve is likely the problem. Not uncommon for one to swell and jamb up after some hard use. You can remove it and stroke it's spool inward with a small screwdriver or pick to see if it stuck but it isn't a 100% valid test on these and usually requires simply replacing it.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Why?........

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:confused::confused: why???

13. dieselss

b/c a meter will not tell you if you have 12v loaded voltage going to your source. you can use a meter but it needs to be used with a test light as well. a meter will tell you no,,,but by itself it will never be able to tell you yes.

14. dieselss

Now I'm guessing that the truck was running when he checked this?
    if it was,,shouldnt he be getting 14??? if it was tested with test light,,,the light might not even light up b/c there is to much resistance somewhere.

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

So you suggest a test light as a load tester? Maybe with a cheap test light but today's LED units don't draw any more scarifical voltage then a mulit-meter. A coil would provide a much better amp sink.

16. dieselss

A regular lighted test light is best for this type if test. An led light will not put enough of a load in the system

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you want to do a load test, throw the multimeter in line. they are normally a 10volt/16watt coil they shouldn't overload the average Mmeter even if the system is only throwing 11 volts or they are 24watt coils.

18. dieselss

I was kinda getting at, in a round about way,,,,why does he only gave 11v at the coil? Now don't get me wrong they will work as low as like 5v.... But 11v is low for a 12v system. Putting the meter in line is not going to test voltage. It would only test amps.

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Remember Occam's Razor, you're looking for Zebras. The concern here is not the voltage outside of its effect on the angle systems. Once we know the coils magnetize voltage/ampere/volt load are ill-relevant.

Yes I agree the voltage is low. I would guess the truck was not running, and with the plow motor running the available voltage could be low.

20. dieselss

From what I was rereading he never tested the coils back on the truck. Just want to make sure he has proper voltage in, and proper ground. Could be coils as well, or garbage in fluid