1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

testing a fish stick

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dvs00022, Mar 4, 2008.

1. dvs00022

dvs00022 Junior Member
    from ny

i have a fisher fish stick controller that goes up and down and to the right but not to the left.is there away to test the controller to see if it is bad?i was told to go to the fisher website and they explain how to hook it to a battery.i didn't have any luck finding it.does anyone know how to test it? thanx p.s. its only 3yrs old

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

How many pins are in the plug?

3. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

Have you tried cleaning the connections at the grill and on the plow itself? I'd say the best way to test it is to try it on a buddies.

4. dvs00022

dvs00022 Junior Member
    from ny

it is a 6 pin plug and all the connections are clean.

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

find someone else with a 6 pin hookup and plug into their plow and see if it works, if not, then its something on your plow!

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it will raise/lower and angle right but not left than the S3 valve/coil assembly isn't opening for one reason or another.

Before you test the controller, first check the S3 for magnetism with the controller on and the angle left function pressed (be careful of blade movement!). This will tell you if the coil is receiving the signal from the controller, thus telling you whether you have an electrical/controller problem or a valve/hydraulic problem.

If you don't find magnetism at the S3, then test the controller. Be careful when you do as they don't take kindly to a direct short.

Here's the manual to walk you thru the diagnostic process. It's for Western but the Fisher's are the same. Controller test is on: Page 48

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That's cheating! :realmad:

Takes all the fun out of it. :D

But with the snow season you've had Mike, it's ok if you do it that way. :)

8. dvs00022

dvs00022 Junior Member
    from ny

when i press the left button it will raise, press it again it lowers the blade

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

When you press the left button it raises, but also pressing left will lower it correct?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  10. dvs00022

dvs00022 Junior Member
    from ny

yes,it will lower it when i press it again

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok, classic sign of a bad controller. :nod:

No test necessary..

12. dvs00022

dvs00022 Junior Member
    from ny

i kind of figured it might. i wanted to test it on another plow just to make sure.the deal here wanted 1 hour labor, $80 just to test it.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Wait till you order a new one. payup

14. dvs00022

dvs00022 Junior Member
    from ny

thank you all for the help

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Glad to help dvs :salute:.

16. dvs00022

dvs00022 Junior Member
    from ny

i know they are expensive

17. Greybeard

Greybeard Member
    from MA

Mine went dead over the summer. The dealer replaced the circuit board for $177. A whole new Fishtik was over $200. I've since seen them on eBay for around $100, new in the box. Good luck.

18. dvs00022

dvs00022 Junior Member
    from ny

i just tried a friends fish stik and it did the same thing mine did. now i am thinking it a valve/hydraulic problem?

19. dvs00022

dvs00022 Junior Member
    from ny

earlier i said when i press the left button it will raise.i tried it today and as soon as i let go of the button the plow lowers.

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like it's getting worse.

Now that it's dropping as soon as you let go on the control button, and you've tried a different controller with the same results....

Do this test:

Lift the plow and before it has a chance to lower fully, immediately unplug the control harness grill plug. If it continues to drop down with the grill plug disconnected, then you have a hydo or multiple hydro issues. Possibly due to contamination.

If it immedialty stop droping with the connectgor unplugged then it's a wiring/truck side issue.