1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Test - Let's see the range of answers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ClevelandPusher, May 21, 2010.

1. ClevelandPusher

ClevelandPusher Junior Member
    from Detroit

What equipment would you use to plow this lot? How long would it take you with your suggested equipment at 4"? How much would you charge on a per push basis?

I've plowed this account for the past two years and am just curious to see the range of answers. I'll share what we plow with and how long it takes after a few responses. Its located in Michigan.

Plowing Account.JPG

Total area is roughly 27 acres, subtract out 6 for buildings. So total plowable acreage is about 21 acres. The amount of trucks vary at any given time.

Plowing Account.JPG

2. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

I do a similar lot

1 bobcat 650 with 9"plow
    2 k5500 with 8611
    4hours

3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Do they move the trailers when your there or do you plow the lanes then come back when the trailers are moved? Just curious as it would add time and $ to the estimate....

4. ClevelandPusher

from Detroit

Mostly plow the lanes only. We'll clear out sections if there is a big enough space to drive into and out of without putting the equipment in reverse. Its a pretty laid back account. They usually park the trailers in bunches, so half of one trailer parking section might be full and the other half of it all open. It doesnt have to be spotless.

5. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

I have an account just like that, I get about 350k per season for it.:jester::jester:

6. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

2 loaders (case 621's) with 16ft pushes, 1 skidsteer, and about 4-5 hours total time

edit (didn't see the post above about doing just lane ways, and not having to be perfectly done, it could be done to those specs in 3-4 hours)

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  7. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

pick up truck , skid steer and loader - done in 3 hours , and charge alot -

8. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

3 pickups, 1 loader, 3 - 4 hours.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Couple guys on quads knock that in 2 hours.

10. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

350 a season sounds quite high, is that including salt? I would think you could get that place done for less then 100k.

11. ClevelandPusher

from Detroit

Basically! It takes 3 pickups w/ 8' plows 3 hours. You run circles around the terminal 3 wide to get the place up and operational. One person breaks off to open the storage lanes, while another does the employee lot then helps the final clean around the terminal. 3 hours - $40k seasonal.

12. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

That would go for alot more in Toronto I think, I don't really know for sure, we wouldn't go after something that big due to our lack of experience with larger sites.

13. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Is that with SALTING???!!!

14. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I wouldn't touch that for 40k!

Do you wait until the end of the storm or plow with the storm? What happens when you get a big storm? I would think with those long wind rows that you'd make a few passes then it would be too much for the truck? You really cant stack the snow with the trucks (at least you can't stack like a loader) , so how much space do you lose over the winter?

IMO thats ALOT of work for 3 trucks. You'd spend over the season 8k labor, 5k fuel, 2k for misc work to the trucks, workers comp, insurances, ect....
    So you doing 21 ac for a profit of 25K per season? $1200 per ac per season profit. What do you get for your average plowable events? just as a example 16 plowable events.... 1200/16=$75 profit per ac per event ....oh wait a minute forgot the tax man, deduct another 25%..... that would bring it down to $56.25 profit per event (this could be more or less because its a seasonal account but I'm sure you see my logic here).

I'm not sure of your market but i think your selling yourself way short .....

One loader with 16 pusher, 1 skid with 10 pusher, 1 ton with 9.5 v plow....

I'd charge 100k.... (WITH NO SALT!!!)

Thanks for posting this, it nice to see what others mind sets are.....

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  15. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

The only believable thing here is that the customer is laid back, and your finished product isn't spotless.

16. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Could look at it this way.

3-pick-ups w/8' plows :)laughing:) x 3 hours=9 hours

10 events total (which didn't happen here in Detroit)

90 total site hours (at most) divide by $40,000.00

$444.44 per truck hour.

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You don't think a pickup with an 8 foot blade can clear almost 2 1/2 acres an hour?

18. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I just can't see plowing that site in 3 hours with 3-8' plows.

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Not if all the snow is going to the ends.

20. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

with 4 inches, there is no way it is getting done and piled in 3 hours, maybe with 3 trucks and a loader to move the piles