1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Terrible week

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wyldman, Feb 5, 2003.

1. wyldman

wyldman Member

Man,what a week it's been.Nothing but non stop dustings,and we had a huge freezing rain storm the other night.We even ended up plowing 1" of slush as it was too much to melt with salt.

We lost a motor on one of our 5 tons,put a rebuilt in and it puked today.Not a fun job to re and re.Broke two a-frame's and one quadrant on our westerns.Lost a few pump motor's.One broken truck frame.I think I will need a new welder after this week.Will it ever stop.I hope so.

Thank god we haven't had any huge storms.

How's everyone else's equipment holding up ?

2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Keepin my fingers crossed,so far so good but i'm really beatin on them more than i like,this freeze/thaw/freeze crap is killin me,make things very HARD:realmad:

3. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

Sorry to hear about your troubles Wyldman. I plowed my route 15 times in the past four weeks and can't complain. No problems here except my tranny temp guage and the price of gas. It went up 10 cents to $1.69 in just one day! Here comes the surcharge.

4. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

been lucky

no problems at all this season (i hope this doesn't jinx me)

5. dan deutekom

dan deutekom Member

Wyldman I know how you feel. We have had the same weather. That freezing rain and warm spell with a super cold following night with 2" of snow falling on the slush. Made for some very rough plowing. Luckily the only thing I broke was a pin on the 3 point hitch for my rear blade. (always have a spare) Trying to scrape up with the loader was almost futile. We presalted before the rain and after but it just got to cold for it to keep working.

6. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

Sorry to hear about your troubles wyldman. :( We have had a bad winter too, not much snow, and it seemed every time I did go out and plow I had a $500 repair to do on one of the trucks after. The way I look at it the more I spend on repairs this season, the less I'll (hopefully) have to spend on repairs next year, cause it'll all be new.:)

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

Add a blown tranny line to that list now,Dodge wants over $300.00 for a new set,most are on backorder :mad:

8. Bonzai

Bonzai Member

Wyldman
    I know exactly how you feel, we do work in Brampton as well and it seems that every night we are chasiing snow with all these bloody streamers. Even last night you had no snow and in RichmondHill we got 3-4 inches. It was in a very small area but it covered most of our sights. I even went back to Brampton at about 5:00 am and they had got about 2cm on a sight out there. Real pain. Lets hope it stops soon, I`m starting to here that there will be salt shortages soon if this weather keeps up. We get most of our salt delivered and the little guys are the first to get cut off. Got a load coming in tomorrow. Oh well guess we`ll have to pay more and buy on the road.

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I know the feeling. It seems like that happens every year that we don't get regular snows. A little here, a little there and it seems like there's always something stupid broke every time out. Get regular, decent snowfalls and it seems like virtually nothing breaks.

So this year its something stupid (big or small) broken everytime. A couple REALLy stupid things especially.

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

Bonzai

We plowed a few places last night in Brampton due to blowing and drifting.I live in Maple so I was suprised at how much we got there when I got in at 5 am,about 3 inches as well.Had nothing when I went out at 7 pm.

If your stuck for salt,let me know.I am a little higher up the salt chain than most,so we get first dibs when supplies start to dry up.I usually have 150 tons on hand.

11. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Wyldman - I feel your pain. I have been working on my trucks since early October! I still have more work to due! Spent over $10,000 in maint and repairs this year! The 2500's GM's have been giving me problems all winter. Heavy duty = More $'s to repair!!!!

Well, at least, I have been making some good money salting.

Chuck B.

12. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

I feel ya. Last year we had a storm where it seemed like every truck was breaking. We were picking up spare plows, using back up trucks and weeping the trucks down the road to the tranny shops to get in line. So I bought two new trucks this year and put a blade on a 2000 that we hadn't plowed yet. This past December on one of the new trucks the transfer case cracked and we lost 4 wd. Warranty work, but it took a week plus to get the truck back. Today - not even snowing, just going to service the truck and it looks like we lost R, 1st and 2nd gear. Truck only has 3,000 miles on it.

Luckily the 3 new boss plows we bought haven't had any problems and no real welding issues. You can own new or old equipment, either way - you're going to have problems in this business. I guess the only thing you can do is to make sure you have back up trucks, good dealer support and a welder/mechanic on call.

Good luck to you all through the rest of the season - two months to go!

13. snowflake

snowflake Member

knock on wood havent had any major repairs here yet just regular mantiance know what you mean on the 300 dollar trans line there wyldman had to do that a couple of yrs ago darn expesive trans lines for a diesel. of course dealer had to order them in not a stockin part:realmad: so truck sat for a extra week waitin for lines to come after trans got put back in. ofcousre that always happins when there is a storm happpin lol

sure have been missin out on the snow here.. big storms are goin around us alll the time little here little there than get 40@ weather and rain fun plowin slush than turns to 10 @ that night what a change. good old michigan weather wait five minutes it willl change :rolleyes:

14. C&D LANDSCAPING

C&D LANDSCAPING Junior Member

Wyldman
    I feel you're pain that freezing rain storm was terrible. I live about an hour and a half north of you, the temp only got above freezing for an hour, came down so heavy the salt could'nt keep up. Just nicely got it plowed and salted again the the temp dropped and it started snowing real hard, had to re- salt everything again today. Luckily no breakdowns though, knock on wood, lets hope we don,t see another one like that this sesaon, I to am hearing rumors of a salt shortage, better stock up now. hope you get you're equipment running and have better luck for the rest of the season.
    Corey

15. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I feel your pain. My truck has been in and out of the shop alot lately. Thankfully nothing too expensive.

That freezing rain storm was a real PITA:mad:. I had to drive north of Orangeville during it. Scary driving, but as usual the scariest part was trying to avoid all the people driving like idiots.

16. Bonzai

Bonzai Member

Thanks Wyldman I will keep it mind. My suppliers should have no problem though. The salt companies will deliver to them just not us. I deal with Speelmans for delivery and Beaver Valley and Draglam. What kind of price are you paying for your bulk delivered. Just curious where you guys are located and company name, maybe I`ve seen you around.
    Thanks
    Bonzai

17. wyldman

wyldman Member

Paying 52.00 a ton delivered for salt.

Company name is Auto Proformance Serivces,originally started as an auto repair biz.Snow biz is a sideline run off the automotive.Trucks are all lettered up,mostly all white,with checkered bottoms,running westerns,so you may have seen a truck or two,I know I have passed a few of yours.

If your driving all the way out to brampton to just check a few sites,I'd be glad to update you on the weather here,as I'm always out and about.Drop me a line and we can exchange numbers if you want

wyldman@idirect.com

18. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i feel your pain,but i will be plowing on friday.big storm coming for south east Connecticut.

19. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Wyldman,

I fell your pain... I thin we have all been there once and awhile. Just keep on going it does get better.....

Rick

20. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

only thing that i've had to buy is a new starter for my truck. $365 for that. Just got a call an hour ago that last months bill for a Burger King was too high so they will be doing it on a per call basis. Not sure if i wanna keep it that way. Gotta figure out if i wanna keep the lawn or not. :realmad: