1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Terrible Engineering At Its Finest

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Philbilly2, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I know you guys have some equipment and trucks that you have worked on that you have wanted to grab the engineer by the back of the shirt and rub his nose in it as say "Look what you did! Looked good on the computer didn't it."

Let's hear the worst of them. :nod:
  2. Philbilly2

My rant for the day stems from another Duramax water pump.

I just don't think that an item like that should require removal of the harmonic balancer, fan clutch mount, a/c condenser, power steering pump, etc...

GM's book time is 8.5 hours... for a f-ing water pump.

Why would you do that?

3. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

The pass through wires and the auxiliary wires on the super duty aren't connected.
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

This is the aux hydrlic valve body from. DMC 3700 AC.

Every fitting has a hose,

5. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Dam pump and motor on my blizzard are on the a frame.. Never even thought to look that it would be a problem
  6. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction Senior Member

To replace the oil pan gasket on my old 84 F150 you had to take out the radiator and unhook and lift the engine. That project of just replacing a gasket pissed me off more than any other project I've done. Tried every angle and everything I could before lifting the engine.
  7. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Ford 6.0 diesel is the obvious winner here. You remove the cab to remove the heads and change the head gaskets and head bolts. It wouldn't be so bad if they were like most other vehicles that they need to be changed in maybe 1 out of 100,000 but the 6.0 is probably more then 50%.
  8. Philbilly2

OK, you have the winner. I have a 6.0 F550 - most of the motor work goes to a mechanic as I am not screwing with that train wreck
  9. cbservicesllc

cbservicesllc PlowSite Fanatic

Amen... is there anyone that actually hooks something up in the cab that would take advantage of the fact they aren't hooked up??
  10. cbservicesllc

cbservicesllc PlowSite Fanatic

Yuck... what is that?
  11. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

I'll go a bit older. The first design GM 2.8 with serpentine belts......that required removal of an engine mount to replace!

Oh, and ANY job on an LT-1 in a Camaro or Firebird......go ahead....replace the #7 and #8 spark plugs. I dare ya.
  12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It's located in the oval you see below the side window,
    Back in the Stone Age befor elicteric over hydrlic
    We had linkage for the blade control and the rear functions.

It's recessed just enough you can't turn the fitting enough with a wrench.
    To get a 2nd bite. You to worlked inside the panel with a crowfoot and you may have to remove a hose just to get to the one you want to remove.
    And that linkage:dizzy:

13. Philbilly2

Yeah... f*uck that! That is about as smart as wiping before you poop.
  14. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

GM......recall leader
  15. Philbilly2

Got another one, been a while since I have done a set, but LB7 injectors on a Duramax. Looked threw all my archived pictures of the sets that I have done, but I can't find a singe one.

You have to pull the valve covers and everything to get to them to change a single stick.

Thank god they updated that train wreck in 04.5 LLY motors.

GM shop time went form 8 hours a side to 6 hours for the whole rack.

Someone must have whipped the snot out of the engineer that designed that and he actually learned.
  16. Philbilly2

At least GM recalls them... Ford just lets them blow up
  17. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I thought that some things on cars and trucks were really bad until I started to work on planes. Beechcraft A36 Engine Change / With a new baffle kit. PITA 92
  18. Dieselplow82

Dieselplow82 Member

Not all that true..I've done dozens of gaskets and studs on 6.0s in my home garage without ever lifting the cab off
  19. Philbilly2

What do you tilt the motor?
  20. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, this is a winner.