1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Terex loaders

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Mick76, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Looking at a 2004 3 yd bucket....anyone have any pros/cons to this thing? The only thing I could see was it didn't have a quick change bucket (which desn't matter for me).... its got a 6 cyl perkins engine and is pretty darn quite ...any other input or experience with these?

Thanks

2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

We rented one (873) last season, they are very quiet. It was on a rent to buy deal, after running it for a season & looking into them. We didn't end up purchasing it for several reasons, the bank said more or less they wanted to much for it, the machine seemed to have some gremlins, fuel tank was small & most importantly the machine & engine are both made in England & parts availability is VERY limited in my area, anything special would have to be order & shipped from overseas. It pusher our 14' Protec with no problem

3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Mke,
    Thanks for the response.... Ive got a dealer 10m minutes from me and he said most parts come from mississippi believe it or not.... its got a perkins engine and those parts are available in alot of places.... im curious as to what yor gremlins were? the dealer is asking 45K with a full service already completed...it has 2300 hours

4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

We had a battery issue (went dead twice), at one point they (rental co) swaped it out for an identical unit, the second unit ran very different then the first (had more power & was quicker). I don't know how much of the issues were from maintenance from it always being on rentals (according to the mechanic that came out for dead battery), how much was rental co being cheap (mechanic had told the shop guys to change out both batteries, they only changed one, other had a dead cell that wiped out both batteries). It was also a hydrostatic drive, which we haven't used before but it seemed to take longer to warm up than a traditional machine drive. The machine we had was also very bare bones, no radio even. The strobe they put on was about the size of a small V8 juice can.

5. NFDDJS

NFDDJS Member
    from USA, NH

I really dont want to bash any equipment that people have. We all work hard for the equipment we have and nothing worse then see somebody bash what you have. That being said, I also have been looking at buys a loader. I have rented loaders for the last 4 years. I own two Cat backhoes so the first years I rented a Cat 930G. It did a great job, but the it was not cheap to buy or rent. After that first year of renting my thought was why pay so much if I can get something for a lower rental cost so I can put more money in my pocket. That next year I rented a Hyundai 740, it had just over 1000 hours and it ran good, guys liked the CAT more but I liked my month payment much more. Next year we rented a Terex 210 and we had no troubles for the first 30 or so hours. After we started to have electrical problem that would stop it dead. They have a big parts place in Mississippi and I think another one on the west coast but I am not 100% sure on that. The problem we had was that they dont make the parts in Mississippi they just store them in Mississippi. Just my luck the parts I need half of them were not in Mississippi they needed to come from over seas. With out going into it all this start on the second week in December and by end of December the dealer told me he had no really time frame for the parts. They let me out of the rental and the only other deal that I could find that still had a loader was Deere it was a 544 great loader but it was more money then the cat. Just to give you and idea about how long it took for those parts I called them in March and they didnt get it off site till the first of April. All this summer I have been looking for used CAT and Deere loaders around the 150hp range. I think I am buying a CAT 938 this week with 1350 hours for $123K with a protect pusher. If I cant make the deal happen then I will be renting another Hyundai because the winter rental cost is again better.