1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tenants are really dumb ...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by alpine692003, Jan 16, 2005.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 Senior Member

Wow, I had a really crazy night on Saturday.. I dont know about you guys, but here's the story..

It was snowing heavily last night in our area, about 3-5hrs of straight heavy snow and the snow accumalted to about 10+cm's.. We were on site at about 9:00pm and started shovelling the snow until about 1:30am.

At around that time, we get tenants telling us to stop and we're making too much noise and we're going to call the cops.. Surprise, the cops come in about 15mins and tell us to stop our services, we're causing too much noise.

I was like uhm officer, its freezing rain right now and if I stop there will be an ice rink for this mall in the morning.. I was like, listen you fools, if we dont do this you guys wont be able to walk in the morning!!!!

So immediately I contacted the mgt company @ 2:30am, told them to wake the f.ucken property manager up and get him online immediately..

He was in shock as well, didnt know what to say or do.. all he could say was, uhh do the property because then ice will form in the morning.. I said, thats what I thought but wanted confirmation that you waned us to continue.

I told him, if the cops come around 2nd time and tell us to come in the morning, you will have an ice rink and a lawsuit at your hands..

So we continued shovelling and putting down ice melter to this sheet of ice..

Was I wrong to call the mgt company @ 2:30am and ask him what we should do? I think I made the right call, this is a huge complex.. there was about 8 of us shovelling, salting, etc... It's a mall with tenants living above the stores!

:eek: :eek: :eek:
  2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry you just happen to live where people never see ice or snow and have no concept of the drill. They should travel inland more and see what winter is about. When they complain turn shovel upside down and drag it down the concrete sidewalk. Now you got something to complain about.
  3. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

I'd have done the same, called the prop mngr and continued working. :gunsfiring: Tell the residents to bite it :realmad:
  4. chuckers

chuckers Member

I would of never made the call to the mang. I would of went ahead and contunued. Because if something was to happen its your responsiblity. Just my call. I mean how long are you there it should be really fast.
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I would have stopped when told by the police. Documented the time, what was said and done. The city would then be responsible for any problem as a result.
  6. sbrem

sbrem Member

I definently think you did the right thing. It's amazing how dumb some people can be.

7. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

My Dad owns an apartment building and many tenants are horrible and lazy.
  8. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

I'd have too agree my tractor has no muffler just a straight pipe out of the turbo. We get lots of snow and do residential and apartments as early as 3 am. People stop me in the store to say "I heard this you come in this morning, thanks". Never any complaints. You did the right thingcalling the PM.

Last year I was sweeping the hospital at midnight this guy comes over to me and says that his kid is sick and I'm keeping her up. He was being an as%hole but I kept my cool explained that there was only three nurses on at night and that was the only time to do the sweeping. I told him how to get a hold of my boss and the hospitals maintenance mans name. Apologized for keeping his daughter up and said I'd keep the RPM's down. He walked away grumbling but we never heard anything about it so I guess my answer satisfied him
  9. alpine692003

Well, the reason why I notified the prop manager immediately was the following reasons;

a) If I had stopped and went home and came back in about 4-6hrs, the entire complex would have been an ICE RINK.. It was freezing rain, we could not keep up with the ice melter agent and the freezing rain that was occuring.

b) The reason why I contacted the prop manager was so that he was aware of the situation and what will occur if we do go home and come back in a few hours, to begin salting again.. We would literally need 20+ guys there, using ice breakers to break the ice..

I know there will be a huge amounts of phonecalls to the mgt co on Monday, and I told him to be aware of that.. The council members of the mall agreed with my decision by notifying the prop manager and letting him know..

I would have made the decision to continue, but I had to call him because tenants called the police and the police told us to stop our services and come back in the morning, I told him what would happen if I came back in the morning..
  10. demetrios007

demetrios007 Member

YOu are hired by the PM to do your job. Work out ahead of time with him what hours are OK to do your work and have him put it in letterhead and sign it with his info. If cops show up again or any problems you have the OWNERS authority (or responsible party) to do the services asked.........end of story.......happens all the time with nitwits.........they'll be the ones to slip and sue in the morning, some do it on purpose around here, EASY $$ insead of out working for it like us.........
  11. alpine692003

Yes, I am hired by the PM to do the job.. But when tenants complain, police show up numerous times to check up on us, there is a problem..

I told the police, do you know how freezing rain / snow works on concrete pavers? If you tell me to stop my services, give me your card and I'll pass it along to the PM and tell him the situation..

If I came back in the morning, it would have been an ice rink and the ice melter agents would have not worked at all.

This is a commercial site, with retail stores on the bottom and tenants living on top.. IF someone were to slip, the PM would say to me how come this occurred???
  12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Renters never cease to amaze me!
    They would be the first ones to whine about ice all over the walks!
    I plow nice ,close areas to park but NO,they have to park in unplowed areas!
  13. SGLC

SGLC Senior Member

If you were operating on Private Property with a contract to do so and the complaint was made by Tenants of that property then the police would have no authority to stop you.

I would of still called the PM like you did, even if u documented the occurence, and left the Pm in the morning would of been furious regardless of the circumstances.
  14. Trails End Lawn

Trails End Lawn Junior Member

Wrong the liability would not fall back on the city. Im sure they have a city ordinance on noice and it does have to be followed. Its kind of a real thin line when plowing snow.
  15. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I tend to agree with this statement. Since the renters on the contracted property called then I think the P.D. was wrong. Now If the complaint came from a neighbor that would be a different story.....Rob
  16. alpine692003

Well, its sort of public / private property..

The property rests on a public street that the city plows.. The road, the city workers plow..

The funny thing is, this property is right nextdoor to CITY HALL and the police station.
  17. SGLC

SGLC Senior Member

I agree...different if it was the guy across the street. Same neighbour who compalined about the noise would be same neighbour complaining how slippery it was.
  18. alpine692003

Yep, same thing..

I went into the meeting today to discuss our invoice, the mgt co called that building and gave the tenants s.hit about what happened..

:nono: :nono:
  19. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

I've had similar situations with snow removal. One building in particular. My contract clearly states that removal is to be done between 6pm and 6 am. Every year for three years now I get either a call from the manager to limit removal to 9pm or weekends. He understands the situation but tries to keep the neighbors happy. Can't blame him. We have also had most of our snow dumps shut down, some because they are too close to the river, others because the trucks are too loud at night, etc. This particular lot also usually has cars in it till 6:30, most of the time later, and traffic keeps us somewhat unproductive till about 10, mainly because I have had to find different dump sites that are farther away. Gotta love it!!!