1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ten inches more on Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by John Allin, Nov 28, 2002.

1. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

We got 10" new snow between 2 AM and 8 AM this morning. Finished up plowing about noon. Have gotten 2" more this afternoon, with another 2" or so tonight.... so, another full night plowing. We're starting about 10 PM so we can be done by the start of Black Friday.... want to be off the retails by 4 AM as they all start opening up at 6 AM.....

22" so far this season..... shaping up to be a banner year here on the lee side of Lake Erie....

Hanibal, NY and those off Lake Ontario getting it today too....
  2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Hey John,this may be a stupid question but i was just wondering if you still get out in the trucks and equipment every now and then or if your primarily "behind the scenes'" running the big show?

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

how did the blizzard plow perform this time?
  4. John Allin

The Blizzard did well - no problems.

Of course, last year I wasn't in a plow truck at all as I was in SLC all winter.... and the first storm this season I was in the office. This storm I slept but plowed a bit during the day this morning. And, tonight I'll not go in either. I handle coordinating all the invoicing immediately after a storm in Erie, but I also handle alot of the out of town invoicing too. However, my time is spent mostly with longer range planning, reviewing reports from the various areas of the business, and approving larger expenditures.

But.... that being said.... I've paid my dues being in a truck for days at a time, so I'm well aware of how it goes. And, if anything goes wrong that requires my attention - I'm a phone call away. I also call in once or twice during the night and ask "is everything ok?" - and if the answer is "yes", I hang up and go back to sleep. I do often ask if they need anything from me, and usually the answer is "no" and that is good too.
  5. kawdude

kawdude Senior Member

Sounds to me that Mr. allin has THE job, I like plowing and all but I dont think his desk has a pump or motors to replace in the middle of the night in the freezing 70 degree cold of his office

My 2 cents but probly only worth 1 :D
  6. John Allin

I sure would like to be out there every night pushing snow, but it becomes a matter of where am I the most effective. It used to be that I affected the bottom line the most by being out there "producing" as I was much more productive than anyone working for us.... of course, I was more motivated too given my position with the company (as most "owners" are I suspect). Increasing production (in our organization) increased profits.

However, as we grew my affect on the bottom line (by being out in the storm) grew less and less (percentage wise). And, it got to the point where I could have more affect by staying in the office and assisting in coordinating billing. By making sure nothing got inadvertantly forgotten in the billing cycle, and by forcing the invoicing to be done timely, and by interpreting data that came in from the field (total snowfall, number of times on a site, etc) that affected the total billing dollars - my personal affect on the bottom line became more valuable being "inside" than "outside".

At this point in time my affect is predicated on relationships with customers (mostly outside Erie), visiting our larger sites several times a year, interacting with potential customers throughout the year, and the like. It's a natural progression as the business grows.

However, just because I get to sleep more at than in the past, don't think the pressure to perform is lessened. It isn't. It's just that the scope of my view is much, much wider now (like 27 states wide).