1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by bru z71, Nov 28, 2009.

1. bru z71

bru z71 Senior Member

i got a 2005 silverado 1500 what temp should my tranny stay with in i heard some one say any where from 190 and 215 ish isnt that to hot ? ussmileyflag
  2. Transmission failure/temperature chart

How is the tranny cooled same place as the engine? Or just in ONLY a tranny cooler?
    I know my engine calls for a 190 to195 thermostat.
    Does the engine Over heat?

I found this for you. This may help you http://www.txchange.com/heatchrt.htm

I change my tranny fluid & filter every 10,000 miles. Most automatic transmissions fail due to a breakdown of the transmission fluid (oil) caused by overheating. This chart provides a graphic display of heat's contribution to transmission failure http://www.txchange.com/heatchrt.htm

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  3. WeDoSnowplowing

WeDoSnowplowing Senior Member

Where do I find a automatic transmissions Temp gauge? My truck does have one. Just an engine temp gauge.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

auto parts store????
  5. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

If your truck does have one, why would you need another?:dizzy:
  6. WeDoSnowplowing

WeDoSnowplowing Senior Member

For the tranmission.... Look at the chart it is for Transmission fail. I know my engine is running like 190 to 200 without the snowplow on. With snowplow on it running 215 to 225 just the engine. Like to know how warm or hot the transmission is running at with & without the snowplow on.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Go to an Auto parts store and buy a transmission temp guage. It will have instructions in the box.
  8. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Not sure what the numbers are on the gauge, but my tranny temp doesn't even register on the gauge if I'm just commuting to work or carrying a light load, say a half ton or so of stuff. If I'm plowing, or hauling the gauge will go as high as the halfway mark, but I've nver seen it hotter than that.

Make sure to idle your truck for a few minutes after working it hard to give it time to cool off in a controlled manner.