1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Temporary Truck Advertising

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by LawnProLandscapes, Jan 1, 2008.

1. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

I do plowing as a side job right now. I work full time at a distribution center, and part time as a c/o at a local jail and am a full time college student going for my bachelors in landscape technology. Im interested in getting magnetic signs made for my truck to advertise my plow business when i am out plowing or driving around town. id probaly put one on each door (reg. Cab) and one on the tailgate. i really dont want anything permanent yet since my business name will change when i get my degree, but i dont know how the magnetic signs are for the paint on vehicles. will it scratch my vehicle? or leave any marks?

2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

as long as you don't allow dirt on the back then place on your doors. you should also take them off periodically to let any moisture out from behind them. try not to keep them on full time, over time exposed to the sun your truck doors could end up with a brighter square due to the paint on your vehicle fading but not behind the sign. i use them on 2 of my personal truck because i don't want them lettered full time..works out great

3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

What he said, Basically you have to take them off once in a while.
    Plus's: they are pretty cheap and easy to take off and on.
    minus's: occasionally they fly off if they aren't on straight(like a corner is hanging off) (or it's real cold and they don't want to fold on when you put them on). They look fly by night. Better than nothing, but they look "temporary".

Why would your business name change? You're going to spend years working your name into people's minds and then change it????????? 'splain.

4. LawnProLandscapes

the reason for the business name change is because right now im only doing snowplowing, and when i graduate college with my degree i plan on going full time on my own as a landscape devloper/landcare tech. and do plowing in the winter. plus i also plan on turning into a llc. when i graduate and figure just doing a small sole proprietorship will get my foot in the door and get me learning. i already thought about the whole name change thing but right now my last name is part of the business name so i figure when i change names it wont be that bad if i keep my name in the new business...

5. frostypuck

frostypuck Member

I see you're in NY State, check your local laws, I found out that here in Mass., temp magnetic signs are now not allowed by the state. A vehicle with signage has to be reg'd as a commercial vehicle, thus making more $$ for the state. Too many people were putting temp signs on non-comm reg'd trucks so the state's putting an end to that.
    Chris in Boston

6. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I use magnets. Just be sure to keep the back clean.

7. prizeprop

prizeprop Senior Member

Definetely get magnetic signs,you said you work at a jail.When I was a state corrections officer I would remove the signs before going to work. Dont want inmates getting your phone # and know where you live! They will last a couple years, which will serve your purpose.

8. LawnProLandscapes

my truck is registered as commercial through the dmv. good point about taking signs off at work, even though we deal with mostly nonviolent stuff you never know who you could piss off. im going to go with the magnetic signs, just to find a place to get em made.

9. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I've got magnetics on my truck. I have a black truck, and our logo is navy blue. So I just had our sign guy make the magnetics with a black background and then put a white outline around our navy blue logo. From a few feet away you can't even tell that they're magnetics. They look permanent. Unless you get close, or really really look at them. I find myself leaving them on all the time, and not wanting to take them off. So I'm thinking about putting on permanents.

10. hadley-plow-guy

hadley-plow-guy Member

I have magnetics on my truck, I got 'em at www.buildasign.com. You can make them up anyway you want. They are affordable and quick delivery too. Like the other guys said keep the backs clean and free from moisture and you will do fine.:nod: