1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Temporary Pump Usage

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by nhxrunner, Nov 13, 2012.

1. nhxrunner

nhxrunner Junior Member

So I'm trying to determine whether my electric over hydraulic dump pump is dead but I can't get access to the 2nd solenoid with the flatbed in the down position because of rusty skid plates. If I were able to connect the under hood pump of my Speedcast to the dump hoist would it have enough power to lift an empty 8' wood-floored flat bed? I imagine it would, it lifts that heavy ass plow. Obviously it's not the intended use but the fittings actually look like they'll match up and then I could actually get to everything with ease. :popcorn: I know this isn't really plow related per say but this is the only place I feel like I could get some sound advice. Thanks for any you might be willing to share.

2. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

its probly pretty close to the same pump i have used dump pumps for plows and plow pumps for dumps it should work fine

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Fluid capacity could be an issue.

4. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

i never thought of that good call

5. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

On my first flatbed dump that I built. I put the pump under the bed probably similar to yours. Never had a pump issue. If I did I would be in the same situatiion. The second flatbed dump I built I put the pump assembly in a tool box on the side of the truck. It locks and I can get access to it if there is a problem. I would say the belt driven speedcast pump (I am assuming belt driven) would lift the bed. Just keep an eye on the fluid resivior.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

IMO using a a forklift, SS, hoist, etc to lift it would be a better choice. Lowering it once you got it up would be messy.

7. nhxrunner

nhxrunner Junior Member

You guys make some great points, fluid level, and WTF I'm gonna do once I need to put it back down......I wish I had access to a forklift or the like but I don't. If I wanted to try to move it without a pump somehow, just disconnect the hydraulic hose and it should be "free" right? Would I have to worry about moving the hoist without fluid in it? Any chance of damaging the lift piston? Sorry or the seemingly basic questions. I can turn a wrench don't get me wrong, just would never claim to be a mechanic in any way or have that kind of knowledge.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

you shouldn't have to unhook anything.

9. nhxrunner

nhxrunner Junior Member

It's power up and power down. It's a dual solenoid system. Won't the hydraulics basically be "locked"? Similar to when a plow is in the full up position......I need to figure out how to get the system into "float".

10. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Stick a floor jack under truck with a 4x4 of right length under bed.The solenoid may still be working even though motor isn't working.Jack it up and push the up control button at same time.

11. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

This. Trying to use another pump seems like a complicated solution to a simple problem. You could potentially chain the bed to a sturdy tree and drive to continue lifting it once you run out of travel from the jack a few times, or you could just continue using blocks of wood as shims until you get it high enough. A length of 4x4 at just the right angle, combined with driving forward, might also help continue instead of the chain idea.

No matter WHAT you do, be absolutely 100% sure to make it safe to work on. Your life depends on it not coming down on you while you try to fix it. Does your bed have a leg that you can swing down to prop it up?

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Your plow will go up if you lift it without any power applied anywhere. So will your truck. Coming back down, well you'll have to fix it first. Most of those units will raise fine, lowering then you need to do electrically.

Have you looked at the controls? checked the power and ground at the battery? Is there a failed high amp circuit breaker, do you have a broken wire in the control system. I see those trucks with loose handhelds that have a wire broken in the harness, often right at the wire clamp at the control.

13. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Please please support whatever you put in the air with hydraulics!!! A very good friend of mine lost his life due to laziness. Working on a skid steer, a cat 272B I believe, the one with tracks on it, he lost his life. He was working by himself after hours trying to Finish up some "quick" things. The unit had a broken hydraulic line for the attachment up front. As he was working on it, to gain access, he extended the arms in the air and rolled the cab back. When he cracked the line to the accessory, he never knew what hit him. The bucket came down and crushed him. He was found by his co-workers the next morning. So please be careful!! RIP Richie!
    First listing on this link under Borggaard const.
    http://www.osha.gov/dep/fatcat/fatcat_weekly_rpt_10162009.html

14. nhxrunner

nhxrunner Junior Member

Thanks for all the great tips guys. I know this isn't really a plow question so I really appreciate the feedback. I ended up using 4 large ratchet straps tied around a tree. Just drove forward and voila.....bed in the air. And I yes I put the safety leg up to be extra safe. Now to determine what's wrong with the pump. Up solenoid clicks but not pump. Once in the air the down solenoid works, holds the bed up and vents with the switch. Is there maybe a float in the reservoir that kills the pump if the fluid level is too low? Or is the pump just toast?

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

bad 12 volt motor solenoid? A click does not mean it is good. I have seem many of those that click but no power.

16. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I didn't know if that would actually work. Cool.

17. nhxrunner

nhxrunner Junior Member

So I put a voltage tester on the solenoid. Obviously I get 12v on the battery side. Opposite side (I assume ground) 12v and nothing on the center. Once I flip the switch I get 12v there as well.

I have absolutely no confidence in the wiring. Does this seem right? 3 wires come from the cab and go directly into the reservoir. Three wires come back out; one to the center post, one to the battery side post, the other to the front of the pump. The nut on front is actually a long shaft that seems to extend all the way through the pump. It's also grounded to the frame. Below are a few pics....sorry they're a bit blurry (iphone pics in the dark).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again guys

18. nhxrunner

nhxrunner Junior Member

Can anyone confirm? Maybe a mod can move this to the proper section to get more visibility?

19. bob00

bob00 Senior Member

apply 12 volt + with a boster cable or something like that to the motor directly if it spin u have bad selenoid if not u have a bad motor also check for proper ground again use some booster cable to make a good ground