1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by svt2205, Mar 11, 2009.

1. svt2205

svt2205 Member

I've recently added a Gryphon (modified Edge) Tuner on my truck and thought I'd post my engine coolant and trans fluid temps while I was plowing with my F150. ECT ran about 200 and TFT ran about 190. I was suprised to see a high of 217 ECT and 199 TFT while driving down the road, after plowing. I'm curious what others might have seen for temps, if they monitor them.

Looks like a trans flush is a good maintenance item for spring time.
  2. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

Trans temps would be of concern to me. Maybe an add on cooler might be in order?
  3. svt2205

svt2205 Member

That concerns me too.
  4. svt2205

svt2205 Member

After reading this, I'm not as concerned. But I'm thinking of adding a fan to pull some air thru the stock cooler, just in case.

From the above link
    "How hot is too hot? The ideal operating temperature for automatic transmission fluid is between 175 and 225° F. At approximately 240° F, important additives in the ATF begin to cook. The result is the formation of varnish inside the transmission. At approximately 260° F, internal transmission seals (which are typically manufactured from a polyacrylate material) begin to harden. The end results are leaks, both internal and external, simply because the seals lose their elasticity. At approximately 295° F, transmission clutch plates begin to slip because the oil is breaking down further. At approximately 315° F, seals and clutches effectively burn out. Carbon forms in the oil and for all intents and purposes, the transmission is junk. Just for your information, a typical transmission will die within 2000 miles if subjected to 300° F+ heat."
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2009